Learn Java: A Beginner's Guide for Marketability

• Java
  • Thread starter turin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary, if you're not familiar with high level programming languages, Java is a good option to start with. However, you may need to purchase some software to get started, and you may have difficulty understanding the syntax and terminology.
turin
Homework Helper
What's the best way to learn Java. I'm trying to improve my marketability. I don't know any high level programming languages. Well, I had to take BASIC in 8th grade, back when eveyone still used Apple. I also took something called, I think, Q-BASIC? at college. I tried learning C++ or something like that, maybe Visual C++, using one of those learn-it-yourself books when I was working as an engineer, but I just couldn't do it. My main problem I think is the termonology/syntax. I just can't seem to make sense of it in the language center of my brain. I understand algorithms and flow charts, but I just don't get having to type:

main()

or java.lib.something_else

or whatever.

Then there's the compiler issue. I never quite understood that. Why bother writing the code if it isn't useful until it is compiled? Why can't you just write something *.exe to tell the computer directly what to do?

As you can see, I'm software/programming stupid. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Technology news on Phys.org
Well, the "Java in a Nutshell" book by O'Reilly is quite good, but it does assume the reader has some basic programming experience.

We can definitely help you with the details. Perhaps I should start a "Java Classroom" thread, and begin by breaking down some simple programs so they're easy to understand? What do you think?

- Warren

chroot said:
Perhaps I should start a "Java Classroom" thread, and begin by breaking down some simple programs so they're easy to understand? What do you think?
Hell ya! I tried using some internet tutorials, but they were all written in poor English (or perhaps very heavy jargon).

Will I need to get any software/hardware for my computer in order to run the programs? Could I attach them as text files to my posts and let you compile them for me and then attach the compiled result to your posts? How much support can I get from you (y'all)?

It would be easier for you to compile and run them yourself! :smile: Hold on, I'm making a new thread.

- Warren

What is Java and why is it important to learn?

Java is a high-level, object-oriented programming language that is widely used in the development of software applications. It is important to learn because it is one of the most popular and in-demand programming languages in the job market, and is used in a variety of industries such as web development, mobile app development, and game development.

What are the benefits of learning Java?

Learning Java can provide numerous benefits, including a wide range of job opportunities, a high salary potential, and the ability to work on a variety of projects. Java is also known for its stability, security, and portability, making it a valuable skill for any developer to have.

Do I need any prior programming experience to learn Java?

No, you do not need any prior programming experience to learn Java. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and logic can make it easier to understand and learn Java. It is also helpful to have some experience with another programming language, as many concepts and principles are transferable.

What are the best resources for learning Java?

There are many resources available for learning Java, including online tutorials, books, and courses. Some popular resources include the official Java documentation, Oracle's Java Tutorials, and the Codecademy Java course. It is also helpful to practice coding and participate in online communities to enhance your learning.

How long does it take to learn Java?

The time it takes to learn Java varies depending on the individual's learning style and dedication. Some people may be able to learn the basics in a few weeks, while others may take several months. It is important to focus on understanding the concepts rather than rushing through the material. With consistent practice and dedication, you can become proficient in Java in a reasonable amount of time.