Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning Lagrangian Mechanics

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1
    My background is electrical engineering, but I've recently become fascinated with the principle of least action. I've gone to library to look at a few books on the subject, but I've quickly become overwhelmed.

Is there a good book/video lectures on Lagrangian Mechanics for somebody who knows calculus, but is not a mathematician. I've never had a course in Abstract Algebra, Set Theory, Manifolds, etc. Perhaps something aimed at undergraduates. I learn best through examples, so worked out problems are a plus!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Leonard Susskind's video lectures on classical mechanics (which you can find on youtube) and L. D. Landau's book Mechanics.

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3
    The Feynman lectures have an excellent (rather math free) introduction to the principle of least action. I think it was in volume II (electrodynamics).

5. Aug 11, 2009 #4
    I would second the recommendation for Landau, however if you need help with the calculus of variations I'd look at Boas's Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, chapter 9.

6. Aug 11, 2009 #5
    Try both Jose/Saletan and Landau if you have the money.

7. Dec 9, 2009 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook