Where can I find beginner-friendly resources for learning Lagrangian Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of Lagrangian Mechanics and recommended resources for someone with a background in calculus but not in abstract algebra or set theory. Suggestions included Leonard Susskind's video lectures, L.D. Landau's book Mechanics, the Feynman lectures, Boas's Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, and the lecture series by Prof. Maloney.
nassboy
My background is electrical engineering, but I've recently become fascinated with the principle of least action. I've gone to library to look at a few books on the subject, but I've quickly become overwhelmed.

Is there a good book/video lectures on Lagrangian Mechanics for somebody who knows calculus, but is not a mathematician. I've never had a course in Abstract Algebra, Set Theory, Manifolds, etc. Perhaps something aimed at undergraduates. I learn best through examples, so worked out problems are a plus!

Physics news on Phys.org
Leonard Susskind's video lectures on classical mechanics (which you can find on youtube) and L. D. Landau's book Mechanics.

The Feynman lectures have an excellent (rather math free) introduction to the principle of least action. I think it was in volume II (electrodynamics).

I would second the recommendation for Landau, however if you need help with the calculus of variations I'd look at Boas's Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences, chapter 9.

Try both Jose/Saletan and Landau if you have the money.

1. What is Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of particles or systems of particles. It was developed by Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the 18th century as an alternative to Newtonian Mechanics.

2. How is Lagrangian Mechanics different from Newtonian Mechanics?

In Newtonian Mechanics, the motion of a particle is described by its position, velocity, and acceleration. In Lagrangian Mechanics, the motion is described by a single function called the Lagrangian, which takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the particle or system.

3. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian Mechanics?

One of the main advantages of Lagrangian Mechanics is that it allows for a more elegant and concise description of the motion of particles or systems. It also simplifies the mathematical calculations required to analyze complex systems, such as those involving multiple particles or non-inertial reference frames.

4. What are some real-world applications of Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to describe the motion of objects in space, analyze the dynamics of mechanical systems, and study the behavior of fluids and gases.

5. How can I learn Lagrangian Mechanics?

There are many resources available for learning Lagrangian Mechanics, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. It is recommended to have a strong background in calculus and classical mechanics before diving into the subject. Practice problems and hands-on exercises can also help in understanding and applying the concepts.