Learning Math/Physics with ADHD

In summary, the speaker has ADHD and is struggling with comorbid disorders while studying physics in their first semester of undergraduate studies. They have difficulty managing time, organizing work, and paying attention in class and while studying. Their working memory is poor and they have trouble visualizing concepts. However, they are able to focus for long periods of time when they are interested in the material. The speaker is wondering if they should continue pursuing a physics degree or switch to another major, considering their challenges. They are seeking advice and questioning if it is worth the extra effort to achieve the same results as their peers.
Justin Huang
I have ADHD and some comorbid disorders as well which I'm trying to get treated for. I've just done my first semester of undergrad in physics and I've done pretty terribly; I got distracted a lot of times, didn't know how to manage my time or organize my work, and when I did study math/physics, I found it very difficult to pay attention in class and when studying on my own.

My working memory is terrible its like I can only focus on one thing at a time and I constantly lose what I focus on, this makes me have to study a lot more in order to retain something, I also miss a lot of details while doing problems and I end up making very stupid mistakes. I don't know why but I also have a really hard time visualizing situations or concepts as well.

My one saving grace is that I can get really focused on my work sometimes, even go for hours without tiring or noticing how long its been if I'm really enjoying what I'm learning, it can sometimes screw me over if I got other things to do though.

Anyway, given all these challenges, I'm wondering if its even possible for me to study a physics degree. I'm developing strategies to counteract these difficulties but somethings I just got to accept as a part of me. I'm just wondering if its even worth me pursuing or should I just give it up and switch to another major? I really do love physics and have been waiting to study this major for a long time but I don't know if its realistic, at least that's what others are telling me. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's a question only you can answer. Are you okay with putting in more work than your peers to have the same results?

Also, are you being properly treated for your ADHD?

1. How can ADHD affect a person's ability to learn math and physics?

ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) can impact a person's ability to learn math and physics in several ways. It can make it difficult for individuals to focus and pay attention for extended periods of time, which is necessary for understanding complex mathematical or scientific concepts. It can also make it challenging to stay organized and on task, which can hinder progress in these subjects. Additionally, individuals with ADHD may struggle with impulsivity, which can lead to careless mistakes or impulsive decisions during problem-solving.

2. Are there any strategies or accommodations that can help individuals with ADHD learn math and physics?

Yes, there are several strategies and accommodations that can be helpful for individuals with ADHD who are learning math and physics. These may include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, providing visual aids or manipulatives, incorporating movement and hands-on activities, giving frequent breaks, and using multi-sensory learning techniques. It can also be helpful for individuals to have a quiet and organized learning environment to reduce distractions and promote focus.

3. Can medication be beneficial for individuals with ADHD in learning math and physics?

Medication can be helpful for some individuals with ADHD in managing symptoms that may make learning math and physics more challenging. It can help improve focus, reduce impulsivity, and increase attention span, which can all contribute to better understanding and retention of mathematical and scientific concepts. However, medication is not a one-size-fits-all solution and should be discussed with a healthcare professional.

4. What role do executive functioning skills play in learning math and physics with ADHD?

Executive functioning skills are crucial for learning math and physics with ADHD. These skills include things like organization, time management, planning, and problem-solving. Difficulties with executive functioning can make it challenging to stay organized and on track with assignments, prepare for tests, and effectively manage time during exams. It is important for individuals with ADHD to work on developing these skills to help them succeed in math and physics.

5. How can parents and teachers support students with ADHD in learning math and physics?

Parents and teachers play a crucial role in supporting students with ADHD in learning math and physics. Communication between parents, teachers, and the student is key to ensure that everyone is on the same page and working towards the same goals. Teachers can provide accommodations and adaptations in the classroom, such as allowing extra time for assignments or providing alternative methods for completing tasks. Parents can also help by creating a structured and organized home environment and providing support and encouragement for their child's learning. Additionally, it is important for both parents and teachers to be patient and understanding and to celebrate small successes along the way.