Can I Pursue a Career in Physics with Weak Math Skills and Specific Interests?

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is interested in learning physics and becoming a researcher or scientist. They have concerns about their abilities in math, their lack of interest in electricity and magnetism, and their understanding of quantum mechanics. They also mention not having enough resources and being a high school student with limited time. The person giving advice suggests focusing on developing practical skills and taking college preparatory math and physical science courses. They also inquire about the individual's current level and practical experiences.
Yash Raj
Hi,
I am really very interested in learning physics and becoming researcher or scientist.
But I have few problems like
  • I am not good at maths at all
  • I can remember formulas and constants value.
  • I am not at all interested in electricity and magnetism.
  • I don't really know what am I good at.
  • I don't know what physics am I interested in.(I want to solve mysteries of space-time.)
  • I am small to clearly understand quantum mechanics.
I don't have enough resource.
Please give me advice . I am school student and therefore can't give all my time to physics.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of student or what level right now are you? You might be young and have time to develop, through other science and engineering courses. Highschooler? Learn college preparatory Mathematics for all of your high school years, and do at least one physical science course. For any physical science including Physics, you must learn Algebra, Trigonometry, and some Calculus. No way around it.

Your practical skills (if any) are important for you to help make a decision about interests which can combine with Physics OR any other sciences. This is partly how you develop.

symbolipoint said:
What kind of student or what level right now are you? You might be young and have time to develop, through other science and engineering courses. Highschooler? Learn college preparatory Mathematics for all of your high school years, and do at least one physical science course. For any physical science including Physics, you must learn Algebra, Trigonometry, and some Calculus. No way around it.

Your practical skills (if any) are important for you to help make a decision about interests which can combine with Physics OR any other sciences. This is partly how you develop.
symbolipoint said:

I am in class 10 I mainly like things related to quantum and cosmology or astrophysics. But I am not sure.

Yash Raj said:
I am in class 10 I mainly like things related to quantum and cosmology or astrophysics. But I am not sure.
Members here do not understand, "class 10". One would assume this is something below "high school" level.

The question of your practical skills and current interests are, what practical experiences do you have, and what do you know how to do about repair, construction, or designing of assemblages, equipment, or things you build. This is a wide-ranging question, like anything from forming pottery, cabinet-making, automotive maintenance, or traditional photography techniques.

1. What is the importance of learning physics and maths?

Physics and maths are essential subjects that help us understand the natural world and apply scientific principles in various fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. They also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are valuable in any career.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics and maths?

Practice, practice, practice! One of the best ways to improve your understanding of these subjects is by solving problems and practicing equations. Additionally, seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a tutor to help you clarify any concepts you may be struggling with.

3. What are the basic concepts I should focus on in physics and maths?

Some of the fundamental concepts in physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics. In maths, it is essential to have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and calculus. These concepts serve as the building blocks for more advanced topics.

4. How can I make learning physics and maths more fun and engaging?

There are many ways to make learning these subjects more enjoyable. You can try watching educational videos, conducting experiments, or participating in group study sessions. You can also find real-world applications of physics and maths to help you see their relevance and make the learning process more engaging.

5. What are the career options for someone with a background in physics and maths?

With a background in physics and maths, you can pursue a wide range of careers, including engineering, research, teaching, data analysis, finance, and many more. These subjects provide a strong foundation for any career that requires problem-solving and critical thinking skills.