Learn Physics: 1940 Book Includes Air, Heat, Sound, Light & More

In summary, the speaker is a high school student looking for a physics book that includes both explanations and mathematical equations. They have found one book from 1940 that covers basic concepts but does not include relativity or quantum mechanics. The speaker is open to suggestions for a more updated book and asks if there is anything they need to know before learning calculus.
Monitor16807
Hi, so I'm about to do my 3rd year in high school, and I've been trying to find a good book that could help me learn about physics, most book I found aren't helping since they only do the explanation part and no mathematics.

The only book I found that helped is a book that was writing in 1940(The actual book I have was) It talks about anything basic from: Air resistance, heat dilatation, sound, light, wavelength to gas, electricity, atmospheric pressure, Archimedes's principle etc.

The thing I liked the most is the detailed equations for about everything.
But it doesn't talk about relativity or Quantum Mechanics.

My book is quite outdated (I think?) so if anyone has a suggestion please tell.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know calculus?

Well I know trig and algebra, is there anything else I should know in between calculus and what I know?

Cause I'm guessing it can't be that hard to learn?

What topics does the book cover?

The book covers topics such as air, heat, sound, light, and more. It provides a comprehensive overview of the basic principles of physics.

Is this book suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of physics and gradually progresses to more advanced concepts.

Does the book include practical experiments or demonstrations?

Yes, the book includes several practical experiments and demonstrations to help readers better understand the concepts and principles of physics.

Is this book still relevant in today's world?

While the book was published in 1940, the principles and concepts of physics it covers are still relevant and applicable in today's world.

Are there any additional resources or materials included with the book?

The book includes diagrams, illustrations, and practice problems to enhance the learning experience. It also includes a glossary of key terms and concepts for quick reference.