Start Learning Astrophysics - Texts & Resources

In summary, you should start with high school math and then learn calculus. After that, if you want to learn more about astrophysics, you should read books written for the layman and try to self-teach yourself.
MetalEngineer
Hi, guys. I know that there was a person who asked the same question as me, but the content that I want to learn is in the realm of Astrophysics. I was wondering what would be the best way to start learning about this subject in terms of what texts to buy. I don't have much of a science background to speak of so I guess I just really need to know where I can start.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Learn high school math, then learn calculus, then if you get that far come back and ask for more advice.

Ok, but what would be a book in the realm of physics that you recommend I start out with?

You don't have to buy anything. You have an internet connection- my friends here can provide you with copious links to all the material you'll need.

My point was that trying to learn physics without a math background will get you nowhere. Best start with math.

uman said:
My point was that trying to learn physics without a math background will get you nowhere. Best start with math.

That's true. Thanks for your help!

plum said:
You don't have to buy anything. You have an internet connection- my friends here can provide you with copious links to all the material you'll need.

Thanks! I guess my first question would have to be, do you know any good sites for calculus?

If you're mathematically inclined and want a challenge, may I recommend the book "Calculus" by Tom Apostol. I learned calculus from this book. You can get it pretty cheap if you look around used book sites on the internet. If you want to work on your pre-calculus skills, or try a different book to learn Calculus, Mathwonk has a lot of good advice in his thread "Who wants to be a mathematician".

You can find a quality text free online here:
http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/resources/Strang/strangtext.htm

any one got a good free book for algebraic geoometry?

You're fourteen years old and haven't done any math, and you want to learn something fancy like "algebraic geometry"? At the University of Arizona, they don't even teach that at the undergraduate level... meaning only Master's and Ph.D math students (or advanced undergraduates) have enough background to take it.

I don't know if you ment learn astrophysics for fun or do you plan to pursue the subject in college?

If you just want a conceptual understanding of the subject there are many popular books written for the layman. But if this is a lifelong educational goal then yes mathematics is a good place to start.

Stratosphere said:
any one got a good free book for algebraic geoometry?

Do you mean "analytic geometry?" That's where you study coordinate systems (especially rectangular/Cartesian) and the equations for straight lines, circles, ellipses, etc. I remember taking an analytic geometry course in 11th grade, after traditional geometry (10th grade) and before calculus (12th grade).

Don't let anyone discourage you, I assume someone your age being interested in physics has lots of ideas and theories about the universe and physical phenomena seen and unseen. Don't let the math daunt you, people of past generations took on university level courses at ages 12-15, all that's required is a passionate desire to learn and you will learn. My suggestion is to "self-teach" yourself, this is accomplished via reading a textbook in a certain subject area, attempting end of the chapter problems, and then discussing problems you have trouble with.

mbisCool said:
I don't know if you ment learn astrophysics for fun or do you plan to pursue the subject in college?

If you just want a conceptual understanding of the subject there are many popular books written for the layman. But if this is a lifelong educational goal then yes mathematics is a good place to start.

I'm serious about it, but it's not really possible for me to go to school for it. I'm 22 and I'm about to graduate with a degree in Audio Engineering, so I can't really spend any more time in school. I need to start being able to support myself. I figure I'll just teach myself in my free time and see how far I go. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll be able to go to school for it. We'll see.

Thanks for all of your input guys, it really means at lot!

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that deals with the physical and chemical properties of celestial objects and phenomena. It combines principles of physics and chemistry to study the behavior and evolution of stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

2. Who can benefit from learning astrophysics?

Anyone with an interest in the universe and its mysteries can benefit from learning astrophysics. It is especially helpful for those pursuing careers in astronomy, physics, or engineering, as well as for educators and science enthusiasts.

3. What are some resources for learning astrophysics?

There are many resources available for learning astrophysics, including textbooks, online courses, lectures, and scientific papers. Some popular textbooks include "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll & Ostlie and "An Introduction to Astrophysics" by Bowers & Deeming.

4. Do I need a background in math and science to learn astrophysics?

While a solid foundation in math and science can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a specific background in these subjects to learn astrophysics. Many resources provide explanations and examples that are accessible to those without an extensive background in math and science.

5. How can I apply what I learn in astrophysics to real-world problems?

Astrophysics can be applied to a variety of real-world problems, such as studying climate change, developing new technologies, and understanding the origins of the universe. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from learning astrophysics can also be applied to many other fields and disciplines.