Learning Quantum Mechanics - A Guide for Physics A-Levelers with Math Background

In summary, the individual is looking for websites to learn quantum mechanics, specifically focusing on the Schrödinger equation, Dirac equation, operators, harmonic oscillator, Greens function, and S-Matrix. They mention having an A-level in physics and a good understanding of mathematics and general relativity. Some suggested websites are provided, but the individual also mentions reading QED by Feynman. They also mention that they understand concepts from simple examples but struggle with more complex ones.
PhiJ
Does anyone know any websites which I can use to learn QM?
I have (almost) an A-level of physics, but know more maths than that. I am doing loads of background maths reading and GR is what I am learning that is about at the limit of my knowlage.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your skill? (Schrödinger equation, Dirac equation, operators, harmonic oscillator, Greens function, S-Matrix, ...)?

I mean what do you actually know?

I think the best is a good book, but if you look only for internet sites there are also some:

http://electron6.phys.utk.edu/phys594/Tools/qm/summary/qm.htm

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/phys3220/3220_fa97/notes/notes_table.html

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are good in math and in GR; there is only one way to ``learn´´ quantum mechanics. You go to a bar and drink yourself Lazarus until you see your pint doubled; at that moment in time you must realize that God is in the same intoxicated state as you are on the microscale. We, humans, understand this by means of the Schroedinger wave. Now, suppose the bartender poors a bucket of water over you (of course you shake your head and so on in the process) to sober you up: suddenly you can only locate (to your distress) one pint. This is what copenhagers call measurement. If you understood this, then the rest is math and that usually poses less problems :biggrin:

Last edited:
Careful said:
If you are good in math and in GR; there is only one way to ``learn´´ quantum mechanics. You go to a bar and drink yourself Lazarus until you see your pint doubled; at that moment in time you must realize that God is in the same intoxicated state as you are on the microscale. We, humans, understand this by means of the Schroedinger wave. Now, suppose the bartendender poors a bucket of water over you (of course you shake your head and so on in the process) to sober you up: suddenly you can only locate (to your distress) one pint. This is what copenhagers call measurement. If you understood this, then the rest is math and that usually poses less problems :biggrin:

That's exactly how *I* learned QM ! It works, btw. :biggrin:

vanesch said:
That's exactly how *I* learned QM ! It works, btw. :biggrin:
Yes, I know it is priceless advise :rofl: However, I think God is not a drunken fool after all :smile:

What's your skill?[\QUOTE]

In A-level we do the plank constant, work function, and de broglie wavelength. I havn't done the wave equation, and I think I started looking for a site before, and you had to know that, whatever it is. I've read some of QED by Feynman, but that goes into the concepts, not the maths. I could do the maths for some of his concepts with light traveling in a straight line, but if I try to include when it wants to go around corners, that goes beyond me.

If you are good in math and in GR[\QUOTE]
Well, I've only started learning GR, but I understand what I have read. :smile:

Thanks for the help, will read sugested sites.

PhiJ said:
What's your skill?[\QUOTE]
If you are good in math and in GR[\QUOTE]
Well, I've only started learning GR, but I understand what I have read. :smile:
Thanks for the help, will read sugested sites.
That's good, all wisdom starts from simple examples :devil:

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of these particles.

Why is learning quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory that helps us understand the behavior of matter at a microscopic level. It has numerous applications in technology, such as in the development of computer chips, lasers, and medical imaging devices. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of the universe on a large scale.

What are the prerequisites for learning quantum mechanics?

To fully understand and appreciate quantum mechanics, a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary. This includes knowledge of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. A background in physics, particularly classical mechanics and electromagnetism, is also beneficial.

Is quantum mechanics difficult to learn?

Quantum mechanics can be a challenging subject to grasp, especially for those without a strong mathematical background. However, with dedication and practice, it is possible to understand the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics.

What resources are available for learning quantum mechanics?

There are many resources available for learning quantum mechanics, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and discussing concepts with other students or a mentor. It is important to find a resource that fits your learning style and pace.