Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Learning Style

1. Dec 25, 2009 #1
    I think I'm an underachiever. I can cover the material in a university course in a week and get 100% on the test, but I can only study in short intense bursts on the order of one week. After having an intense week, I have to unwind for like a month. Does anyone else learn like this? I wonder how much I could learn if I could learn continuously.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2009 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

I do my studying a week before finals and get high grades. I don't see a point of sitting in class with other drones, regurgitating information on an arbitrary time scale.

4. Dec 26, 2009 #3
    Yea same lol. I think I could finish a uni degree in about 9 months.

5. Dec 26, 2009 #4
    If you mean how much you can learn something useful in that fashion that can be utilized in your career, I would say none...

6. Dec 26, 2009 #5
    It may depend on the individual and you may not be able to keep up that super intense focus for long periods of time.

In a way, it's like saying 'Wow, if I can stay up for 48 hours straight and get THIS much done, imagine how much I could get done if I never slept at all!'. Ahh, if only :)

That being said, I sort of do the same thing in some subjects. Not trying to cram everything in the week before finals, but sometimes I find that I understand the information more clearly once it's had a while to 'sit' in my head, so to speak. You can try out a few other types of studying styles and see which one suits you, but as long as you get everything done and you're not working yourself into a coma, there's nothing wrong with what you're doing now.

7. Dec 26, 2009 #6
    Maybe you can't do that. But generalizing like that is a bit unfair. If you learn something, you learn it. It doesn't really matter if it takes you 4 years or 4 seconds.

8. Dec 26, 2009 #7
    Learning is a continous process .. you can't do that in short brusts IMO. I am not sure if working intense for few months and doing nothing for the following months can work. Or, I haven't yet seen anyone doing that yet.

Personally, as time passes I learn more and more things, it is more of a continous process at least in my case. I cannot solve all different kind of problems in small amount of time. More time I spend with a subject, more interesting problems I see .. It has never been the case when I had solved all kind of problems (or at least found myself capable of solving any kind of new problem related to the subject). However, I am an average student.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook