Learning to Study 101: Tips for College Success

• Thread starter starkco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary: I can't stop. I always have to push myself harder and harder. I have to be in the moment and not let my brain wander. I'm honestly surprised I've been able to stick to it this long.
Edin_Dzeko said:
At least agree with me that any "How to study" list that excludes memorization isn't complete.

You are arguing just to argue. There is a difference between putting memorization on the list and putting it on the first place of the list.

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
You are arguing just to argue. There is a difference between putting memorization on the list and putting it on the first place of the list.

If I was personally studying on my own, memorization wouldn't top the list. But now that school is in session, memo = #1 :smile:

I think everybody just meant to be against 'rote learning', that is, heavy dependence to memorization.

mathsciguy said:
I think everybody just meant to be against 'rote learning', that is, heavy dependence to memorization.

Yeah. This thing has been put to bed already. :cool:

Edin_Dzeko said:
And I'm saying I disagree with any message or teaching, that frowns upon "hard work" and promotes, "big gains with little effort". That's a joke to me, bro. I just can't take that serious. No easy way or short cuts in life. It shouldn't be that way with learning and education either. I've read that blog and the articles and students he puts in the spotlight are student with little hours studying who get good grades.

The title is how to be an A+ student. Isn't that title alone stressing and promoting an education about grades?

he's teaching you how to study more efficiently. BTW the author of that blog is a professor of computer science at georgetown and has a PhD in EE and CS from MIT so I think he knows a thing or two about hard work

Last edited:
nickadams said:
he's teaching you how to study more efficiently. BTW the author of that blog is a professor of computer science at georgetown and has a PhD in EE and CS from MIT so I think he knows a thing or two about hard work

Is there any place to download that book ? I can't find it !

nickadams said:

The article isn't about him. And the students he put into the spotlight aren't him. Hard work doesn't have to be long. You can work hard in a short period of time. But this guy is looking down on working for long hours which I don't agree with. Some tasks might require hard long hours. Some students might have to study hard long hours. They are not any less than students who study for less amount of hours.

Here are some quotes for you from his "what study hacks is about:"
I think the happiest, most successful students know why they are at college, and they believe this answer. They also tend to do very little, but the small amount of things they do, they do exceptionally well. They recognize that in the end, the world rewards those who are so good they can’t be ignored. By contrast, we forget about the burnt out triple-major who joined 10 clubs to show leadership and managed to earn a 3.9 without ever once impressing a professor.

But whatever works for you, dude. I know people who take 21 credits and still find time to enjoy. He's against heavy course loads and tough schedules but whatever. When it comes to learning everyone is different. Speak to med school kids and find out what they say about undergrads who struggle to handle a semester with 2 science classes or more or 17+ credits in undergrad. Whatever works for you go for it. I was only expressing my opinion of what I thought about his message that he's promoting.

And btw, I'm not impressed by what schools he attended. You can't tell if a person works "hard" or not by the school they attended. In the same way GPA's can't be used to determine that either.

starkco said:
Is there any place to download that book ? I can't find it !

Such information can't be given to you PUBLICLY :smile:

Edin_Dzeko said:
Such information can't be given to you PUBLICLY :smile:

I guess that's why people invented PM :D

starkco said:
I guess that's why people invented PM :D

Exactly! You = very smart man/woman. Now I hope you didn't take the "signs" the wrong way and think that I could help you out. I'm the wrong one to PM