Least annoying Way of Thanking by e-mail (Ettiquette)?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of expressing gratitude and thanking others for their help without wasting their time. Suggestions include keeping the email short and avoiding emoticons or internet abbreviations. The conversation also touches on the importance of treating others kindly, regardless of their position, and a movie quote is mentioned at the end.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I have been pleasantly surprised at how responsive and gracious many people, often very busy ones (academia, business people, etc), have been re my requests for information, general help , especially given my not being in a high position at this point in my life.
Still, while I want to show my gratitude to them with a reply email saying thank you, I worry that if I am to respond this way, I end up only taking their time and clogging up their mailbox, wasting their time in the end. I often just wish them thanks in advance. Any other way I can thank in a way that does not waste their time?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If they give some of their time to respond to write back to in the first place, then they will not resent a follow-up thank you.
No one resents a thank you note.

Likes epenguin and WWGD
I agree with DaveC426913.

A short thank-you email is unlikely to perturb anyone.

Likes WWGD
Agreed -- just keep it very short. I do it all the time. :smile:

Likes WWGD
Following up on agreed-upon advice, thanks all.

Avoid emoticons and internet abbreviations, especially if you don't know them all that well.

Don't do something like:

Dear Sally,

I regret to inform you that your Mom passed away last night.

LOL,

Aunt Emily

with LOL standing for "Lots of Love". At least that's what Aunt Emily thought LOL stood for.

I always write at the end of my first email to them 'Many thanks for any assistance you're able to provide."

(Also I can't help it but laugh at any email that gets sent like BobG's example.)

Maybe LOL should be changed to WLOL = Whole Lotta of Love to avoid confusion -- with the guitar riff associated to it.

WWGD said:
Any other way I can thank in a way that does not waste their time?

I say something like:

I thought you might appreciate an email that doesn't ask anything of you !

Thanks for your kind help the other day regarding (?).
Eric Hoffer says "The measure of a man's bigness is how he treats little people."
You certainly measure up.

I really appreciate the kindness.
(insert a good word for the underling who actually answered the inquiry)

sincerely, ......

jim hardy said:
I say something like:

I thought you might appreciate an email that doesn't ask anything of you !

Thanks for your kind help the other day regarding (?).
Eric Hoffer says "The measure of a man's bigness is how he treats little people."
You certainly measure up.

I really appreciate the kindness.
(insert a good word for the underling who actually answered the inquiry)

sincerely, ......

"Too many notes."

Quiz Question -- What movie is that line from? :smile:

Why,

Amadeus of course ! great soundtrack...

Likes berkeman
jim hardy said:
Why,

Amadeus of course ! great soundtrack...

Ironically I have the same laugh :smile: But tragically not the same brilliance... :wink:

What is the least annoying way to thank someone by email?

The least annoying way to thank someone by email is to simply say "thank you" or "thanks" in a brief and sincere manner. Avoid using excessive exclamation marks or emojis, as they can come across as insincere or overly enthusiastic.

Is it necessary to thank someone via email?

It is not necessary to thank someone via email, but it is considered good etiquette to do so. It shows appreciation and gratitude for the person's time and effort.

Should I send a separate thank you email or include it in the original email?

It is generally better to include the thank you in the original email, as it keeps the conversation thread organized and avoids cluttering the recipient's inbox with multiple emails.

How can I show genuine appreciation in a thank you email?

To show genuine appreciation in a thank you email, use specific and personal language. Mention what the person did that you are grateful for and why it was meaningful to you. Also, try to respond in a timely manner to show that you value their time.

Are there any alternatives to saying "thank you" in an email?

Yes, there are alternative phrases you can use to express gratitude in an email. Some examples include "I appreciate your help," "Your assistance was invaluable," or "I am grateful for your support." Remember to keep the language sincere and specific to the situation.