Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Least Upper Bound and Supremum

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    Are the least upper bound and supremum of a ordered field same thing? If so, then why do we have two different terms and why do text books do not use them interchangeably. That also means that greatest lower bound and infimum are also the same thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2
    Just a couple of expressions to say the same thing.

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As far as I know "supremum" and "least upper bound" are terms for the same thing. Similarly "infimum" and "greatest lower bound" are terms for the same thing.

Surely you don't think it is unusual to have two different terms for the same thing? And I have never seen a text that did NOT "use them interchangebly" where it used both. Commonly, 'lower level' texts use the English phrase "greatest lower bound" and 'upper level' texts use the latin word "supremum" (which is also commonly used internationally).

5. Sep 25, 2012 #4
    Thanks you so much. My textbook uses both but they are very specific about where they use which term. And, I'm a beginner in Mathematical Analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook