1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Least upper bound problem

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find subsets E[tex]\subset[/tex]S1[tex]\subset[/tex]S2[tex]\subset[/tex]S3[tex]\subset[/tex]Q such that E has a least upper bound in S1, but does not have any least upper bound in S2, yet does have a least upper bound in S3.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got totally stuck with it. If a[tex]\in[/tex]S1 is the least upper bound of E, does that mean a is also in S2 and hence a least upper bound of E in S2?
    On the other hand, if E has a least upper bound b in Q, is b unique? So in any subset S of Q, just check if b is in S to see if E has a least upper bound in S?
    Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll get you started. Let E=[0,1) and S1=union(E,{2}). E has a LUB in S1 of 2. Do you see how the LUB can depend on the set E is included in? Can you finish?

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3
    O I got it now....So S2=union(S1,{x[tex]\in[/tex]Q|x^2>2, 0<=x<=2}) would work. And S3=union(S2,{1.1})
    Thanks very much:rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?