Explaining Why 1.1 and 0.95 Are Not Least Upper Bounds for Set A

• Thread starter NATURE.M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bounds
In summary: That's the problem. It's a bit difficult to prove something that isn't true... I mean, it's not like you can say "Assume x = 2" and then prove something else. The LUB is 1, you have to show that there is some other number that is larger than the LUB...Actually, it's not really a "problem". It's just not really a very good question.
NATURE.M

Homework Statement

Given a set A that contains all numbers of the form, n/(n+1), where n is a positive integer,
a.explain why the number 1.1 is not the lub of A.
b.explain why the number 0.95 is no the lub of A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Suppose 1.1 is the lub of A. Then it follows, from the least upper bound axiom, that
i. 1.1 is an upper bound of A and ii. 1.1≤y, if y is an upper bound for A. Since there exists y<1.1, such as y=1.01, we can see that l.l is not the lub of A. Thus, a contradiction.

(I'm not sure if I formatted this proof accurately (as I'm fairly new to proofs)).

b.It follows in a similar manner to a., although here I will show the first property of the lub isn't satisfied. That is, the number is not a upper bound.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you meant ".95 is not lub the of A"? Because then you could show 1/(2) < .95 and be done with it.

NATURE.M said:

Homework Statement

Given a set A that contains all numbers of the form, n/(n+1), where n is a positive integer,
a.explain why the number 1.1 is not the lub of A.
b.explain why the number 0.95 is no the lub of A.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Suppose 1.1 is the lub of A. Then it follows, from the least upper bound axiom, that
i. 1.1 is an upper bound of A and ii. 1.1≤y, if y is an upper bound for A. Since there exists y<1.1, such as y=1.01, we can see that l.l is not the lub of A. Thus, a contradiction.

(I'm not sure if I formatted this proof accurately (as I'm fairly new to proofs)).

b.It follows in a similar manner to a., although here I will show the first property of the lub isn't satisfied. That is, the number is not a upper bound.

Your proof for part a is incredibly wordy and confusing. The "least upper bound axiom" (as I know it) is that every bounded set of real numbers has a least upper bound. What you said was the definition of least upper bound. Not to mention you didn't prove anything! How do you know 1.01 is an upper bound?

Part b, you actually have to show that there exists a number of the form n/(n+1)>.95. It should be easy to find such a number, but you should give a specific example.I think you are falling into a trap of people new to proofs; trying to be as wordy and "formal" as possible. It's awkward and often you end up missing the entire point of the problem!

With math, usually the more concise the better.

AATroop said:
Are you sure you meant ".95 is not lub the of A"? Because then you could show 1/(2) < .95 and be done with it.

That shows absolutely nothing.

johnqwertyful said:
That shows absolutely nothing.

You're right, I wasn't reading it correctly. But what I was getting at was a proof by example. It's not hard to find a number greater than .95 that would disprove .95 is the LUB.

Edit: I just saw your response, and it now it seems like I just tried to copy what you said. I was trying to provide an example of a value that disprove .95 was SOMETHING (I don't know what I THOUGHT it was at the time), but that's why I was trying to provide a specific case. But you're right about the first part, his wording is too convoluted. The best way I found to start proofs was "Let x be ..." and then make conclusions from what you're given to reach a final conclusion that either proves or disproves what they want.

If I can show that some upper bound of A is less than 1.1 initially, then can I mention how this does not satisfy the conditions required for lub as given by the axiom. So 1.1 cannot be the lub.

NATURE.M said:
If I can show that some upper bound of A is less than 1.1 initially, then can I mention how this does not satisfy the conditions required for lub as given by the axiom. So 1.1 cannot be the lub.

That's what you have to do. You need to find some arbitrary value of x/y/z/whatever variable you want, that shows the LUB MUST BE < 1.1.

That arbitrary value should relate to n/(n + 1) somehow. So, let x be the lub of n/(n + 1). Because we know n is blah and blah... etc.

NATURE.M said:

Yes but prove it.

AATroop said:
That's what you have to do. You need to find some arbitrary value of x/y/z/whatever variable you want, that shows the LUB MUST BE < 1.1.

That arbitrary value should relate to n/(n + 1) somehow. So, let x be the lub of n/(n + 1). Because we know n is blah and blah... etc.

But it wouldn't make sense to let x be the lub of n/(n+1) since the lub for the set doesn't exist.

NATURE.M said:
But it wouldn't make sense to let x be the lub of n/(n+1) since the lub for the set doesn't exist.

I'm sorry, I'm really tired, but shouldn't 1 be the LUB?

lim x-> ∞ of x/(x+1) = 1, correct?

NATURE.M said:

You don't need to let x be the lub of that set, although the lub DOES exist for that set (and is equal to 1).

johnqwertyful said:
You don't need to let x be the lub of that set, although the lub DOES exist for that set (and is equal to 1).

Right, you can even say "Assume x is the LUB" and then show why that would not hold if x was the LUB (but in this case, you should NOT do this- we're only saying this for future proofs).

AATroop said:
Right, you can even say "Assume x is the LUB" and then show why that would not hold if x was the LUB (but in this case, you should NOT do this- we're only saying this for future proofs).

Agreed.

AATroop said:

Oh yeah, I overlooked that fact.

johnqwertyful said:
Yes but prove it.

To prove there is an upper bound of A less than 1.1, would I just simply demonstrate that there exists an upper bound, a of the set A, such that a≥m, for all mεA. Then, a≥n/(n+1). Then would I just pick a value of a arbitrarily.

NATURE.M said:
To prove there is an upper bound of A less than 1.1, would I just simply demonstrate that there exists an upper bound, a of the set A, such that a≥m, for all mεA. Then, a≥n/(n+1). Then would I just pick a value of a arbitrarily.

You're overthinking this.

1.01 is an upper bound of the set, although it is not the most convenient example. 1 is an upper bound for the set and 1.1>1. It should be easy to show that 1>n/(n+1) (hint:multiply).

johnqwertyful said:
You're overthinking this.

1.01 is an upper bound of the set, although it is not the most convenient example. 1 is an upper bound for the set and 1.1>1. It should be easy to show that 1>n/(n+1) (hint:multiply).

Your probably right. It seems I'm worrying to much about the formalism and all that sort. Anyways, that clarifies it. Thanks.

NATURE.M said:
Your probably right. It seems I'm worrying to much about the formalism and all that sort. Anyways, that clarifies it. Thanks.

Please write out your proof. I'd like to see and critique it, if you are interested.

I'm defiantly interested, but do you mind if we do it tomorrow? I have class early tomorrow morning, so after, I'll post my proof.

*definitely

Sure. Can't say I'll get to it for a bit, but I'll look for it if I get a chance.

AATroop said:

Why did you hand the OP the solution to the problem? He is the one who is supposed to solve it, according to the Forum rules.

Ray Vickson said:
Why did you hand the OP the solution to the problem? He is the one who is supposed to solve it, according to the Forum rules.
I don't think that hands OP the solution. AA simply stated a relevant limit.

Okay rough version of my solution for a.

We can see that 1 is an upper bound for the set A, since 1≥n/(n+1)*. Since 1<1.1, then by the least upper bound axiom, 1.1 is not the least upper bound of the set A.

*for 1≥ n/(n+1), I'm not sure if I should simplify that to 1≥0. But how is this significant to the result?
Although this doesn't seem like a proof.

Last edited:
I have an alternative version which I think is better.

Lets suppose 1.1 is the sup of A. Then ,we know the set A is bounded above by 1.1 since 1.1>n/(n+1), for n=1,2,3... Now, if 1.1 is the sup of A, then each number m<1.1 is not an upper bound of A. That is, if m=1<1.1, then 1 is not a upper bound of A. However, 1≥n/(n+1), thus we have a contradiction.

-I think I need to justify 1≥n/(n+1), but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Simple: multiply

1≥n/(n+1) ⇔ n+1≥n

(if we multiply by n+1)

Your proof is still somewhat wordy. Although a lot better.

"Then ,we know the set A is bounded above by 1,1. since 1.1>n/(n+1), for n=1,2,3... "
Why include this? It's irrelevant.

"Now, if 1.1 is the sup of A, then each number m<1.1 is not an upper bound of A. That is, if m=1<1.1, then 1 is not a upper bound of A. "
Surely there's a quicker way of saying this.

Wait, don't I still need to justify 1>n/(n+1)?

It's correct, but try to be concise.

I would write it:

Lets suppose 1.1 is the sup of A.Then every number less than 1.1 is not an upper bound. But n+1>n for all n; or 1>n/(n+1). Thus showing 1 is an upper bound for A, so 1.1 can't be the sup.

NATURE.M said:
Wait, don't I still need to justify 1>n/(n+1)?

No more than you need to justify n+1>n.

Okay I see the logic now. I overlooked the statement n+1>1, as being of no significance.
Thanks..

1. What is a least upper bound?

A least upper bound, also known as a supremum, is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in a set. In other words, it is the highest possible value that a set can have.

2. Why are 1.1 and 0.95 not least upper bounds for set A?

1.1 and 0.95 are not least upper bounds for set A because they are not greater than or equal to all the elements in the set. In order for a number to be a least upper bound, it must be greater than or equal to all the elements in the set, and neither 1.1 nor 0.95 meet this criteria.

3. Can there be more than one least upper bound for a set?

No, there can only be one least upper bound for a set. This is because the least upper bound is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in the set. If there were multiple numbers that met this criteria, they would all be considered least upper bounds.

4. How do you determine the least upper bound for a set?

The least upper bound for a set can be determined by finding the maximum value of the set. This can be done by arranging the elements of the set in ascending order and selecting the last element as the least upper bound.

5. Why is understanding least upper bounds important in mathematics?

Understanding least upper bounds is important in mathematics because it allows us to define the boundaries of a set and determine its maximum value. This concept is used in various mathematical fields, such as calculus and real analysis, and is essential for solving problems involving sets and their limits.