Should I Leave for a Master's Degree or Wait for a PhD?

• Thread starter irycio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Master's
In summary, Jagiellonian Uni. is a good university, but some of the courses are textbook-based and not very personal. It's possible to find a scientific idol, but it's harder than at some of the other universities. Copenhagen University and Niels Bohr Institute are both recommended, but the decision of whether to leave for a master's or wait for a PhD is up to the individual.
irycio
Hi everyone!

I'm now doing my 3rd year of bachelor's study in physics at Jagiellonian Uni., Cracow, Poland. As good the university at the national scale as it is, I'm considering going for my master's degree somewhere abroad. Now, the pros are pretty obvious - almoste every European university is better known than this one (in general, not necessarily in particular fields) and being mobile kinda looks nice in a CV. In addition to, I'm slightly disappointed with some of my courses being almost straight from the textbook, with almost or no personal addition from the lecturer - it's hence hard to find a 'scientific idol' ;).

On the other hand, however, the level all in all is I believe pretty high, compared at least to what some of my friends are being taught i.e. at the Birmingham Uni. (I'm only speaking of the bachelor's degree). Moreover, I kinda like the atmosphere of my university, and there is always a risk of ending up somewhere, where it's far from being that nice.

So the question is, would you recommend leaving for a master's, or would you wait for a PhD?
Also, if leaving, can you recommend some universities in Europe. I gues I'd be particularly interested in mathematical physics, GR, numerical relativity, (magneto)hydrodynamics and things like that.

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Edit: A friend of mine talked me into applying to Copenhagen University and in combination with Niels Bohr Institute they seem to be pretty strong. I've been also considering Vienna University, given Ervin Schroedinger Institute nearby, but VU seems to be quite low in rankings.

Edit 2: The languages of study under consideration are English and possibly German. And Polish I guess ;).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ENS Ulm.

Thx for the suggestions, especially for Munich. But how about the other part of my question - is it worth it? I mean, leaving for a master's. Surely for PhD, but I do have doubts regarding master's.

I understand your desire to pursue a master's degree abroad. It can offer valuable opportunities for personal and academic growth, as well as enhance your CV. However, it is important to carefully consider your options and weigh the pros and cons before making a decision.

Firstly, I would recommend researching and comparing the specific programs and universities you are interested in. Look into the curriculum, faculty, research opportunities, and overall reputation of each institution. This will give you a better understanding of the quality of education and resources available to you.

Secondly, consider your personal preferences and priorities. You mentioned enjoying the atmosphere of your current university and the high level of education you are receiving. These are important factors to consider when deciding to leave for a master's degree. Additionally, think about the potential challenges of living in a new country and adapting to a different academic system.

If you do decide to pursue a master's degree abroad, I would recommend looking into universities with strong programs in your areas of interest, such as the ones you mentioned - Copenhagen University and Vienna University. Also, consider reaching out to current or former students from these universities to get their perspective and advice.

Ultimately, the decision to leave for a master's degree or wait for a PhD should be based on your individual goals and aspirations. Keep in mind that you can always apply for a PhD program after completing your master's degree abroad. Good luck with your decision and future academic pursuits!

1. Should I leave for a master's degree or stay in my current job?

The decision to leave for a master's degree or stay in your current job depends on your personal and professional goals. Consider factors such as the cost and time commitment of a master's degree, career advancement opportunities, and your passion for a particular subject. It's important to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision that aligns with your long-term aspirations.

2. Will a master's degree increase my earning potential?

In many fields, a master's degree can lead to higher earning potential. However, this varies depending on the industry and job market. It's important to research the average salaries for positions in your field with and without a master's degree to determine if the investment is worth it for you.

3. How do I choose the right master's program?

Choosing the right master's program involves researching and considering various factors such as the program's curriculum, faculty, reputation, cost, and location. It's important to also consider your specific career goals and whether the program aligns with them. Additionally, reach out to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of their experiences in the program.

4. Can I work while pursuing a master's degree?

Many students do work while pursuing a master's degree, but it ultimately depends on the program's structure and workload. Some programs may require full-time commitment, while others allow for part-time study. It's important to carefully consider your time management skills and whether you can balance work and school effectively.

5. What are the benefits of a master's degree?

A master's degree can provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, making you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities. It can also expand your professional network and open up new career prospects. Additionally, a master's degree can also lead to higher salaries and potential for career advancement.