How can we prove that Lebesgue-Stieltjes measures are regular Borel measures?

• Thread starter hermanni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, we need to show that any lebesgue stieltjes measure is a regular borel measure. We know the definition and facts about the distribution function , how can we conclude approximation by compact or closed sets??
hermanni
I need to show that any lebesgue stieltjes measure is a regular borel measure. I'm really clueless , can anyone help??
We know the definition and facts about the distribution function , how can we conclude approximation by compact or closed sets??
Regards, hermanni.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, can you give your definition of Lebesque-Stieltjes measure??

Let [tex]\mu[/tex] be the Lebesque-Stieltjes measure, we need to show that for every Borel set A holds that

[tex]\mu(A)=\inf\{\mu(G)~\vert~G~\text{open and}~A\subseteq G\}[/tex]

and something analogous in the case of closed sets.
Can you prove this for A=]a,b]? Can you find a sequence of closed sets G_n containing ]a,b] such that [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}{\mu(G_n)}=\mu(]a,b])[/tex]??

Of you've proven this first case, then you'll need to use that the intervals of the form ]a,b] form a semiring (i.e. apply an approximation theorem.)

Ok , here's our course's definiton : Let F be a right-continuos and nondecreasing function.
Then lebesgue - stieltjes measure associated to F is u and:
u(a, b] = F(b) - F(a)
For the compact sets , we do approximation from inside .The thing that bothers me is extension from a semiring to the ring.Any way , I'll try your suggestions , thanks :))

Hi,
I showed approximations for intervals. Can you give me an idea how I can show it for any set??
Regards, hermanni.

You'll need an approximation theorem.
Have you seen the following?

If [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] is a semiring and if A is a Borel set. Then there exist [tex]A_1,...,A_n[/tex] such that

[tex]A\subseteq \bigcup A_i~\text{and}~\mu\left(\bigcup{A_i}\setminus A\right)<\epsilon[/tex]

Or did you see any other theorem that looks like it?

Actually no , in the course we only saw that if we have a premasure on a semiring , then we can extend it to a measure on the ring.
Also we noted down

If [tex] E \in S [/tex] and [tex] F \in S [/tex] then there exists a finite number of mutually disjoint sets [tex] C_i \in S [/tex] for [tex] i=1,\ldots,n [/tex] such that [tex] E \setminus F = \cup_{i=1}^n C_i [/tex] without proof , it looks like what you said.Can you explain how the result will follow from your lemma? We also did something similar in the class at characterization of the measurable sets: If A is any lebesgue measurable set , then what you said follows and Ai's are open sets.

1. What is Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure?

Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure is a mathematical concept used in the field of measure theory. It is a way of assigning a numerical value to certain sets of numbers or points in a given space.

2. How is Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure different from other measures?

Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure is different from other measures because it takes into account the cumulative distribution function of a given random variable. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the distribution of the variable.

3. What is the significance of Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure in probability theory?

In probability theory, Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure is used to define the probability distribution of a random variable. It helps in calculating the probabilities of different outcomes and understanding the overall behavior of a system.

4. How is Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure calculated?

Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure is calculated by taking the integral of the cumulative distribution function of a random variable. This integral helps in determining the probability of a set of numbers or points in a given space.

5. What are some applications of Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure?

Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure has various applications in fields such as probability theory, statistics, and economics. It is used to study the behavior of random variables, analyze the distribution of data, and make predictions based on probability distributions.