1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lebnit's notation question

1. Nov 15, 2003 #1
    I am in my first year of calculus at the high school level so be patient with me.

Why is it that in Lebnit's (spelling?) notation the second derivative is expressed as d²y/dx² ? My instructor did not know and from what we could work out it seems as if it should be expressed as d²y/d²x².

We have covered about what you have covered in the first eighth of a college level calculus course so try not to go too far over my head.:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Juxt, and welcome to PF.

The second derivative is just the first derivative of the first derivative. :smile:

Mathematically, the above sentence translates to:

d2y/dx2=(d/dx)(d/dx)y

You can loosely think of the two operators on the right as being multiplied like fractions to get:

(d2/dx2)y

or simply:

d2y/dx2.

edit: fixed typo

4. Nov 15, 2003 #3
    Maybe I was confused... is does dx= d times x or is dx like one variable (dx)? I am assuming that dx= d times x, as such I don't understand why it isn't d²y/d²x². Is my perception of the nomenclature wrong?

5. Nov 15, 2003 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The second one.

dx is what you get when you take Δx(=x2-x1) and pass to the limit Δx-->0. Just as Δx is not Δ times x, so dx is not d times x.

6. Nov 15, 2003 #5
    Thank you for that terrific analogy. What a lightbulb.

7. Nov 15, 2003 #6
    lol taking calculus in highschool rofl.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?