Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lecturing in the UK

  1. Apr 8, 2007 #1

    First off, im new, so if this is in the wrong place im sorry.

    I'm applying to university this year to study physics (hopefully going to Oxford or Imperial, though i dont think im good enough for that). I've always wanted to lecture the subject at univeristy, im incredibly passionate about the subject and not too bad at talking to large groups of people (i stutter slightly but people say it adds to my charm). I've asked numerous people about how i would go about becoming a lecturer, but i havnt managed to get a straight answer out of anybody, so i was wondering if anybody here knew the process for becoming a lecturer, i.e. qualifications required (some people i asked said Mphys and others said Phd) and how applications for the job work and such, i know applying is a long way off but i like to be informed.

    Thanks in advance

  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2007 #2
    In the UK? In England, 3/4 years undergraduate degree followed by a 3 year phd is usually sufficient to become a lecturer. Lecturers are generally also active researchers who spend x hours a week lecturing students (in return for using all the Universities facilities).

    In Scotland, 4/5 Years undergraduate degree followed by 3 year phd.
  4. Apr 8, 2007 #3
    Yeah, it will be in england, didnt realise there was a difference. Thank you very much for the information.
  5. Apr 9, 2007 #4

    matt grime

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    But, if you're English anad go to Scotland you will start in the second year, normally, so it becomes 3/4 years again. (Scottish Highers end at age 17, they don't do A-level). After the PhD, you will normally be expected to do 3-6 years post-doc experience (in physics, that is working on someone else's project doing research, no teaching). Lecturing is, at a prestigious university, subsidiary to research. Some less prestigious universities emphasise teaching over research. Prestige is a slightly difficult thing to quantify these days - we'll see what the knock on effects of the 50% in higher education nonsense has for the area. In my opinion, there will have to be a major re-evaluation of university life if we are to keep to this mantra, and it will no longer be the case that research will be what dictates how valuable you are as an employee of a university.
  6. Apr 11, 2007 #5
    I feel that whilst the UK does have some world beating Universities and Departments, theres still an issue of the academics that are attracted to practice here. The UK scheme seems to involve a plethora of needless red-tape, bogging down academics who also choose to give time to teach with evaluation forms to try and qualify each researcher into grades of teacher as well.

    It seems to me that the UK needs to do more to encourage the academic way rather than placing so much focus on filling in feedback forms that leave no time to make any real evaluation or change. Teachers are different, and will always have different styles which will suit different people. I've studied from various textbooks over the years, and have found some to be completely unsuited to my method - it doesn't mean I reject the subject.

    More emphasis should be placed on the students getting work done rather than the lazy attitude of expectation on the lecturers to do all the work. (Yes, I know this doesn't apply to everyone)
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook