Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LED in series and parallel

1. Apr 26, 2014 #1
    If i have a LED which drops 3V, and 30mA through each LED and i need 8 LED in series.. does it mean that i need a total of 24V and 30mA from power supply or less?
    And if i use the same circuit in parallel, does it mean i will use 3V but much more current like 0.24A?? or least current?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2

psparky

Gold Member

For your series circuit, I believe you would need at least 24 volts at 30 ma.

That's 720 mwatts from your source.

For parallel, 3 volts will work with 240 ma coming from source, yet each branch will get it's 30ma.

That's also 720 mwatts from your source.

4. Apr 26, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why less? You'll need 24V and 30mA. It is safer to use a voltage a bit above 24V together with a suitable resistor in series.

8*30mA of course. The same advice: use a resistor in series.

5. Apr 26, 2014 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

LED current is highly sensitive to applied voltage and temperature.
    Each parallel path will require a resistor to stabilise the current in that path.

Consider a 12.00 volt DC supply for 8 LEDs.
    4 LEDs in series would give no control of current at varying temperatures.

3 LEDs and a 100 ohm resistor in each series chain would stabilise the current at 30 mA. One of the three chains will need an extra 100 ohm resistor or a hidden LED to make 8 visible LEDs total.

2 LEDs with 200 ohms in series will be less efficient than 3 LEDs with 100 ohms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook