Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LED Light problem blown!

1. Sep 25, 2009 #1
    Hi guys,

I recently purchased some LED strip lights for my car (like this - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150374586680&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT [Broken] )

To my knowledge I had them hooked up correctly, they have one positive and negative sire for power. So I found out which was which for my cars lights and simply attached them to that. They are able to handle a 12V current and so I saw nothing wrong with this set up... they worked for about a week and now both (individually wired to separate lights) have blown, I have extra ones but dont want them to die out the same way so I was wondering if you guys may know of another way to set this up so that they dont simply blow out.

Thanks,
    Darryl

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2009 #2
    Ill try to keep the thread physics related. L.E.D. is a semiconductor by definition. Semiconductor lifespan is directly related to heat/current.

Putting a current limiting resistor in series with the lights would increase lifespan, but also diminish brightness.

I'm not sure about the quality, but low quality semiconductors have a high infant mortality rate,(many fail early).

"long service life up to 30,000 hours, made in Hong Kong" , definitely not Mil-Spec reliability, perhaps let the buyer beware?

4. Sep 26, 2009 #3
    Please disregard this posting... it turns out that one of my kids had placed the cars lights onto HIGHBEAMS... for whatever reason this disabled the lights, once turning them back off the lights were fine.

Sorry for the time waster here.

Darryl

5. Sep 26, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

It sounds as if you've tapped into the low-beam circuit only. Try relocating your connection upstream between the main headlight switch and the dimmer switch. That should bring your LED's on with both high and low beam selection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook