How can I prevent my LED lights from blowing out on my car?

• Thread starter darrylmcl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Led Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of LED strip lights for a car blowing out after a week of use. The initial setup is described and possible reasons for the malfunction are discussed, including the quality of the lights and the importance of current limiting. However, it is later discovered that the lights were disabled due to being placed on high beams. Suggestions are made to resolve the issue, such as relocating the connection between the main headlight switch and the dimmer switch.
darrylmcl
Hi guys,

I recently purchased some LED strip lights for my car (like this - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150374586680&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT )

To my knowledge I had them hooked up correctly, they have one positive and negative sire for power. So I found out which was which for my cars lights and simply attached them to that. They are able to handle a 12V current and so I saw nothing wrong with this set up... they worked for about a week and now both (individually wired to separate lights) have blown, I have extra ones but don't want them to die out the same way so I was wondering if you guys may know of another way to set this up so that they don't simply blow out.

Thanks,
Darryl

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Ill try to keep the thread physics related. L.E.D. is a semiconductor by definition. Semiconductor lifespan is directly related to heat/current.

Putting a current limiting resistor in series with the lights would increase lifespan, but also diminish brightness.

I'm not sure about the quality, but low quality semiconductors have a high infant mortality rate,(many fail early).

"long service life up to 30,000 hours, made in Hong Kong" , definitely not Mil-Spec reliability, perhaps let the buyer beware?

Please disregard this posting... it turns out that one of my kids had placed the cars lights onto HIGHBEAMS... for whatever reason this disabled the lights, once turning them back off the lights were fine.

Sorry for the time waster here.

Darryl

It sounds as if you've tapped into the low-beam circuit only. Try relocating your connection upstream between the main headlight switch and the dimmer switch. That should bring your LED's on with both high and low beam selection.

1. What causes an LED light to blow?

The most common cause of an LED light blowing is a power surge or fluctuation. This can happen when the voltage from the electrical supply is higher than the rated voltage for the LED light.

2. How do I know if my LED light has blown?

If the LED light is not turning on or flickering, it is likely that it has blown. You can also check the LED light for any visible damage, such as a cracked or burnt out bulb.

3. Can a blown LED light be fixed?

In most cases, a blown LED light cannot be fixed. Once the LED chip inside the bulb has burnt out, it cannot be replaced. The entire light bulb will need to be replaced.

4. How long should an LED light last before it blows?

LED lights are designed to last much longer than traditional incandescent bulbs. They can last anywhere from 25,000 to 50,000 hours, depending on the brand and quality of the bulb. However, power surges or other electrical issues can cause them to blow sooner.

5. Is there a way to prevent LED lights from blowing?

To prevent LED lights from blowing, make sure to use a surge protector for your electrical outlets. Also, make sure to check the voltage of your electrical supply before installing LED lights and use bulbs with the correct voltage rating. Regularly cleaning and dusting the bulbs can also help prolong their lifespan.