Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LED lighting and RFI

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    I have just fitted two (very expensive) UK mains - 14 watt (120 watt tungsten equivalent, 28 watt CFL equivalent) LED luminaires in a building extension.

I am now picking up intolerable interference on both AM and FM radios, throughout the house.

Considering the cost, CE markings and other certifications and pedigree, this is very disappointing.

I am plannning to try some delta suppressors and will report in due course. When I take the units down to fit the suppressors I will take some photos.

Meanwhile any comments or experiences welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That is indeed disapointing. Especially with the CE mark, they should be at least Level A emissions compliant. I wonder if it would be worth a call to their support folks...

I'm not sure what a delta suppressor is, but some kind of clamp-on ferrite on the power wires may help. Let us know what you find!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook