LED Light Tail Lights: Find a Way to Turn Off/On!

In summary, the conversation centers around using LED light strips as tail lights on a motorbike and finding a way to turn off the tail light when using blinkers. The main concern is whether or not this modification is legal and safe, with suggestions to instead invest in brighter blinkers or consult local regulations. It is also mentioned that such modifications could potentially affect insurance coverage.
nitinkranti
hello everyone
i thank you all in advance for reading this and i m hoping someone will be able to help me with this

i got some led light strip to use as a tail light on my motorbike.
i want to find a way to turn the tail light off when using blinkers.. and tail light back on when i turn blinkers off
the reason is my blinkers arent bright enough so i need the tail light off.. so if you can help me make s simple circuit using diodes or watever will be much appriciated.
thanks heaps

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this legal?

nitinkranti said:
the reason is my blinkers arent bright enough
I don't know the regulations in your part of the world but, if they aren't bright enough, they are just not bright enough to see against any light source. Just turning off your tail light won't help that unless you are being followed down an unlit road with no buildings. That's a safety issue. Why not just buy a decent indicator system?

Original premise sounds to me suspiciously like some of my high school chums' tricks from early1960's.

sophiecentaur said:
Just turning off your tail light won't help that unless you are being followed....

by the cops ?

I agree with Sophie. Fix the blinkers.

In the UK , at least, you only have insurance cover if there are no 'modifications'. If someone hits you and they claim not to have seen you and if things get nasty and expensive, your idea could turn out very expensive.
'Type Approval' makes you relatively bomb proof. Turning lamps off at critical times is not safe. Use a 'normal' arrangement.

If you're in the U.S., this is a resource that I use when trying to convert dirtbikes over to street legal status:

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/motorcycle-equipment/

It's only a general summary (not the specific statutes) but it's a good jumping-off point. Most states would consider this modification illegal. Your tail light must be on while the vehicle is in operation. Sophie also makes the excellent point that if you make this kind of modification and get in an accident you may end up down the rabbit hole on insurance.

Bottom line, if your blinkers aren't bright enough replace them with ones that are. There are LED blinker kits available that only draw ~.1A and are of course only drawing for the few seconds they're in operation so they're essentially trivial when you're mapping out your vehicle's current draw.

Likes thuyln2

What are LED light tail lights?

LED light tail lights are a type of automotive lighting that use light-emitting diodes (LEDs) as the source of illumination. They are typically used as rear lights on vehicles and are known for their high brightness, efficiency, and long lifespan.

How do LED light tail lights work?

LED light tail lights work by using a small semiconductor chip, typically made of materials like gallium arsenide, to produce light when an electrical current is applied. This light is then directed through a lens and emitted as a bright, directional beam.

What are the benefits of using LED light tail lights?

There are several benefits to using LED light tail lights. They are more energy-efficient than traditional incandescent lights, have a longer lifespan, and are more durable. They also produce a brighter and more focused light, making them easier to see and improving overall safety on the road.

How can I turn off/on my LED light tail lights?

The method for turning off/on LED light tail lights may vary depending on the specific vehicle and lighting system. In most cases, there will be a switch or button on the dashboard or steering column that controls the tail lights. Consult the vehicle's manual for specific instructions.

Are LED light tail lights legal?

Yes, LED light tail lights are legal in most countries. However, it is important to check with local regulations and laws to ensure they comply with any specific requirements. In some cases, modifications to the lighting system may also be necessary for legality, such as adding a diffuser to reduce glare.