Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LED photo-electric effect

1. Feb 25, 2005 #1
    Does anybody know why illuminating an LED with a filament lamp would produce a voltage in a simple circuit with just an LED and voltmeter? I'm guessing it's related to the photo-electric effect, but I have no idea what is actually going on.

If any of you guys could help me out, or point me in the right direction, it would be a great help!

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would only make sense -- if passing current through an LED produces light, why wouldn't shining light on an LED produce current?

It is, in fact, the photo-electric effect. An LED is basically just a p-n junction, comprised of two kinds of semiconductors joined together. The region around the junction is normally depleted of charge carriers, because free electrons on the n-side of the junction want to rush over into the electron-starved p-side.

When you shine light on the depletion region, the photo-electric effect kicks electrons out of atoms. These free electrons then immediately slide down the potential hill toward the p-side of the device, and a current flows.

- Warren

4. Feb 25, 2005 #3
    Yeh, that seems to make sense. It was the point about the photoelectric effect freeing electrons in the depletion region that I was originally unsure about. Will white light incident on the depletion region definetly free electrons from these otherwise stable atoms?

5. Feb 25, 2005 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The frequency-sensitivity of an LED can be pretty complicated. A good thermal white light source should have enough light of every frequency to stimulate any LED to produce a measurable current.

- Warren

6. Feb 28, 2005 #5
    Ah ok, so visible or even infra-red light has enough energy to free these electrons. Thank you very much for your help, it really is appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?