Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Led Zeppelin and Lord of the Rings

1. Nov 30, 2003 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey folks,

I've been watching the first two LOTR movies a lot, in anticipation of the 3rd one to come out in December. Lately I've been noticing all the imagery that Led Zeppelin borrows from that trilogy, and I am now listening to "Battle of Evermore", which mentions the ringwraiths. That prompted me to do some Googling, and this is what I turned up:

Zeppelin and Tolkein Relations Page

Someone with much more time on his hands found more connections. I thought they were kind of cool.

Enjoy,

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2003 #2
    In the darkest depths of mordor i met a girl so fair...

4. Nov 30, 2003 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But Gollum, and the eeevil one

crept up and stole away with hee-eer hee-eer hee-eer yeah.

<- is done singing

<- isn't going to quit his day job

5. Nov 30, 2003 #4
    ...crept up and slipped away with hee-eer hee-eer hee-eer yeah.
    :wink:

6. Dec 1, 2003 #5
    Ramble On!

Yeah, Zeppelin and Tolkien have a lot of connections.

Let's see... Misty Mountain Hop has some references to Middle Earth (if I remember my Tolkien correctly).

Watch the Song Remains the Same. Plant's scene sort of goes for that mythical atmosphere.

7. Dec 1, 2003 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I remember watching Fellowship of the Ring, and when Galadriel said that Gollum took the ring deep into the Misty Mountains, that power riff was sounding off in my head.

8. Dec 1, 2003 #7
    Speaking of having time on someone’s hands, I once reworked an auto-reversing cassette deck so it would play a tape either forwards or backwards. This made it easy to listen to a song in either direction. The Zeppelin band had quite a few things to say about Satan.
    I thought it was kind of cool, hehe.

9. Dec 1, 2003 #8
    nahh.. you got it all wrong... Chicago has the good stuff:wink:

10. Apr 5, 2004 #9

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Saw Return of the King again last weekend. That's 5 times now!

I need help.

11. Apr 5, 2004 #10
    Holy cow, I only saw it twice and it was too much for me.

12. Apr 5, 2004 #11

Tsu

Gold Member

Boulderhead, Zantra! NO JOKE?? I'd always heard about that reverse message thing but I thought it was a myth. (Somebody call Mythbusters! :wink: ) I never knew anyone who actually HEARD it themselves. That's so weird! Then it's true? Zantra, Chicago??? Really??? Get OUT!!! CHICAGO??? :frown: really? Jeez... :frown:

13. Apr 6, 2004 #12
    interesting, but its not pink floyd/wizard of oz. :D

14. Apr 6, 2004 #13

Tsu

Gold Member

True. :biggrin: Isn't that WEIRD?? I just love watching/listening to that. :wink:

15. Apr 24, 2004 #14
    Meh, you hear what you want to here. I remember a friend of mine convincing someone that a rage song, "born of a broken man", actually, said "pinapple pumkin man", just by saying so, and playing the song for him.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?