Maximizing Efficiency: Using Luxeon S LEDs for Solar Simulator Design

In summary, the LEDs used in this solar simulator have the following specifications: luminous flux at 700 mA, 85°C* 1315 lm, radiant flux at 700 mA, 85°C 4113 mW, 1931 CIE color points at 700 mA, 85°C (0.4304, 0.4030), and CCT at 700 mA, 85°C 3105 K. If we want to create an area that is illuminated with 1 Sun (1000 W/m^2) of radiant energy, over how much area will the LEDs be able to illuminate?
jefinjo
I want to make a solar simulator with LEDs. I want to get a net intensity of 1 Sun(1000 W/m^2). My LEDs have the following specifications:

LUXEON S LXS8-PW30

Luminous flux at 700 mA, 85°C* 1315 lm

Radiant flux at 700 mA, 85°C 4113 mW

1931 CIE color points at 700 mA, 85°C (0.4304, 0.4030)

CCT at 700 mA, 85°C 3105 K

Distance to detector: 200 mm

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are important differences between HPLED's light spectrum and solar sea level light spectrum

zoki85 said:
There are important differences between HPLED's light spectrum and solar sea level light spectrum
Yes. How can we tackle it? Are filters helpful?

I think it is a very challenging task if you want to be accurate, no matter what method and means you use.

jefinjo said:
Yes. How can we tackle it? Are filters helpful?
A filter cannot supply the missing spectral lines in the light that comes out of an LED. LED's are designed to provide a 'sort of' match to the light of a black body radiator (tungsten filament or sunlight) using three or more LEDs, each of which will only produce a narrow band of wavelengths.

It would all depend upon what you actually want from this 'simulator' and what the light will be used for.

jefinjo said:
I want to get a net intensity of 1 Sun(1000 W/m^2).

Over how much area ?
If we believe this
jefinjo said:
Radiant flux at 700 mA, 85°C 4113 mW
That led puts out 0.4 watts of radiant energy... so one of them will illuminate .0004m^2 to that intensity, about a 2 cm square.

http://www.philipslumileds.com/products/luxeon-s/

Last time i looked into them white LED's used a phosphor to make "white" light from a UV led's emissions, much like a flourescent tube.
Various phosphors make various shades of white...
You might read up on "color temperature"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
because i notice your LED comes in various color temperatures

Lastly, sunlight is about half infrared and your LED won't contain nearly that much. See its spectrum on the datasheets at Phillips.

Those Luxeons are a grreat product. Beware of the cheap Chinese imitations, the ones i tried were disappointing.

1. What are LEDs used for in solar simulators?

LEDs, or light-emitting diodes, are used as the light source in solar simulators to mimic the sun's spectrum and intensity. They are energy-efficient, long-lasting, and can be easily controlled to simulate different solar conditions.

2. How do LEDs compare to traditional light sources in solar simulators?

LEDs are more commonly used in solar simulators compared to traditional light sources, such as halogen lamps or xenon arc lamps. LEDs have a longer lifespan, require less maintenance, and have a more stable output over time.

3. What factors should be considered when selecting LEDs for a solar simulator?

The most important factors to consider when selecting LEDs for a solar simulator are the spectral range, intensity, and uniformity. The LEDs used should mimic the solar spectrum as closely as possible and have a consistent and even output across the entire surface of the simulator.

4. Can different types of LEDs be used in the same solar simulator?

Yes, different types of LEDs, such as white, red, and blue, can be used in the same solar simulator to achieve a more accurate solar spectrum. However, it is important to carefully select and calibrate the LEDs to ensure a uniform output.

5. How do LEDs impact the accuracy of solar simulations?

The use of LEDs in solar simulators has greatly improved the accuracy of solar simulations. With the ability to control the spectrum and intensity of the LEDs, simulations can be tailored to specific weather conditions and locations, resulting in more precise and reliable data.

Back