Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LEDs for solar simulator

Tags:
  1. Dec 29, 2014 #1
    I want to make a solar simulator with LEDs. I want to get a net intensity of 1 Sun(1000 W/m^2). My LEDs have the following specifications:

LUXEON S LXS8-PW30

Luminous flux at 700 mA, 85°C* 1315 lm

Radiant flux at 700 mA, 85°C 4113 mW

1931 CIE color points at 700 mA, 85°C (0.4304, 0.4030)

CCT at 700 mA, 85°C 3105 K

Distance to detector: 200 mm

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2014 #2
    There are important differences between HPLED's light spectrum and solar sea level light spectrum

4. Dec 29, 2014 #3
    Yes. How can we tackle it? Are filters helpful?

5. Dec 29, 2014 #4
    I think it is a very challenging task if you want to be accurate, no matter what method and means you use.

6. Dec 29, 2014 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A filter cannot supply the missing spectral lines in the light that comes out of an LED. LED's are designed to provide a 'sort of' match to the light of a black body radiator (tungsten filament or sunlight) using three or more LEDs, each of which will only produce a narrow band of wavelengths.

It would all depend upon what you actually want from this 'simulator' and what the light will be used for.

7. Dec 29, 2014 #6

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Over how much area ?
    If we believe this
    That led puts out 0.4 watts of radiant energy... so one of them will illuminate .0004m^2 to that intensity, about a 2 cm square.

http://www.philipslumileds.com/products/luxeon-s/

Last time i looked into them white LED's used a phosphor to make "white" light from a UV led's emissions, much like a flourescent tube.
    Various phosphors make various shades of white....
    You might read up on "color temperature"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
    because i notice your LED comes in various color temperatures

Lastly, sunlight is about half infrared and your LED won't contain nearly that much. See its spectrum on the datasheets at Phillips.

Those Luxeons are a grreat product. Beware of the cheap Chinese imitations, the ones i tried were disappointing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook