Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LEDs in parallel don't consume sum of individual currents?

Tags:
  1. May 25, 2017 #1
    Hello all. Thanks for taking up your time to read my post.

I checked the currents that passed through several LEDs for MIC2287CBD5 as the datasheet of http://www.kynix.com/uploadfiles/pdf2286/MIC2287CBD5.pdf at a particular voltage. They varied from 12.0 to 15.1 mA at 3.0 V. I then connected them all in parallel and the current running through them was about 22 mA. How can this be? I thought it would be the sum of the currents that passed through the LEDs connected individually. All the LEDs should have the same voltage across them so they should all be passing the same current they passed when tested individually ??

Can anyone help me ? I am very puzzled about this question. I do need your help.

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2017 #2
  4. May 25, 2017 #3

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Both files loaded here and a File Compare reports "both files identical."
    (In fact, Mouser redirects to to the Micron (kynix.com) site.)

5. May 25, 2017 #4
    thanks for your reply. Do you have better explanation to my question ? thanks a lot.

6. May 25, 2017 #5
    How many parallel LED's?. 2, or 2000?

7. May 25, 2017 #6

Tom.G

Science Advisor

See the schematic on the first page of the data sheet.

It is normal for some variation in the voltage/current characteristics between different LEDs. Look at a datasheet for the LEDs you are doing and find the entry for Forward Voltage. A voltage spread of 25% as measured at the operating current is not uncommon.

8. May 25, 2017 #7
    thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted