Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Left or Right?

1. right hand- right foot

67.1%
  2. left hand- left foot

14.6%
  3. right hand- left foot

8.5%
  4. left hand- right foot

9.8%
  1. Jan 12, 2007 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

Are you left handed or right handed? I mean which hand you usually write with!
    Are you able to write with both hands? And are you left footed or right footed?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2007 #2
    What is right footed?

4. Jan 12, 2007 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

Do you play football?:blushing:

5. Jan 12, 2007 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

or skateboard/snowboard

6. Jan 12, 2007 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm always interested in this.

Studies generally show left handers to account for about 10% of the general population, but 4 out of the 5 engineers I sit with at work are left handed. Similarly, I did a poll on my (engineering) course at university (nicer sample size), something daft like 100 out of 200 people admitted to being left handed.

7. Jan 12, 2007 #6
    I am right-handed and my left hand is useless for many tasks. However, in throwing a frisbee, I can only do it well with my left hand.

8. Jan 12, 2007 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Really? That must suck with all them right handed rules going around.

9. Jan 12, 2007 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the poor right-handed guys that happen to be holding their pencil in their right-hand, so substitute their left-hand for the right-hand rule?

I'm right-handed and right-footed. However, I did go through a period where I was left-footed. Playing indoor, some clod slammed my right knee into the boards (and beat up my face, as well - I don't have a clue what he was trying to do - maybe he was a hockey player). I couldn't play for about 2-3 months and even when I started playing again, it still took a long time for it to get back to normal. I was amazed at good my left foot got over that time.

About two years after getting slammed into the boards, I was back to being a right-footed player again, though. It's amazing how you can just fall back into old routines like that.

10. Jan 12, 2007 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Playing football these days one needs to practise with both feet equally. Its a huge advantage if you can strike the ball without thinking with your left foot as naturally as you would with your right (if you're right footed).

I'm right-handed and right-footed, but I do have a lot of things I can do with either hand or foot. When I play footbal I can strike just as well with either foot and I can play darts left handed as well as I can right handed.

11. Jan 12, 2007 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Franz Beckenbauer barely ever touched the ball with his left-foot his entire career, and he was one of the guys responsible for the rise in soccer's popularity in the US back in the 70's or 80's.

12. Jan 12, 2007 #11
    Very much a right handed person. Also when I play football I kick with my right (most naturally anyways, I can also kick with my left).

13. Jan 12, 2007 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm left-handed but I had to think about my footedness. I have always considered myself right when it comes to sports like hockey and golf, but for foot-sports, my left foot is forward.

14. Jan 12, 2007 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My right hand is dominant (though, there are a lot of things I wind up doing left-handed without really thinking about it...I have a tendency to grab surgical instruments with either hand, because sometimes you just need both hands, and don't realize I've been using my left hand until it's time to release a hemostat and for some reason, that's the one thing that I'm not particularly good at doing left-handed).

I haven't a clue what foot is dominant. Probably my right foot, but when doing that circle your hand and foot thing someone posted the other day, I seemed more coordinated with my left foot (before I even started doing the hand circles).

15. Jan 12, 2007 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Couldn't pick an answer because my category isn't there. I use both hands equally, but am right-footed and right-eyed. I therefore shoot pool, bow-and-arrow and long-guns right handed for aiming purposes.

16. Jan 12, 2007 #15

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm left-handed for most things and kick a ball right-footed. Not sure if the foot comparison is valid though. I do quite a few things right-handed because I was taught to do so (play guitar, play brass musical instrument, drive using stickshift). I wonder if as a child, someone showed me how kick using their right foot, I just followed their example and with practise, attained the proficiency.

On a quick net search, I find 10-11% of population in North America & Europe are left-handed. Wiki has a wider distribution. "Approximately 8 to 15% of the adult population is left-handed."

Here's some interesting stats in our poll at 41 votes in; we have 70.7% right-handed, 29.3% left-handed. Does this imply there are twice as many left-handed people in the sciences compared to the general population? As a grad student at Purdue, I recall an officemate, my advisor, our dept head and the professor in the next office, were all left-handed. Hmmm :uhh:

Previous PF handedness threads Oct 2003 and July 2005

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  17. Jan 13, 2007 #16
    can be a right-handed train himself become a left-handed?
    what do you think about a guy abandon from being right-handed?

18. Jan 13, 2007 #17
    I'm pretty ambidextrous although I write with my right hand, it's easier that way.

Foot wise probably favour my right.

I was left handed when I was born, when I was about five I just switched over to being right handed, I to this day have no idea why?

19. Jan 13, 2007 #18

verty

Homework Helper

I think it's probably like anything, you need to be consistent. If you switch to Dvorak typing and are consistent, it can be learned soon enough. If you do taichi for a short while consistently (a year or two), you'll be very accustomed to it. I think a person could learn to write with the other hand but one would need to be consistent.

20. Jan 13, 2007 #19

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Trying to force yourself to use the 'wrong' hand can have some pretty interesting effects. Many people will develop a stutter later on in life if forced to use the wrong hand as a child.

21. Jan 13, 2007 #20

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting, we are now up to total 49 polled, right-handed 69.4%, left-handed 30.6%. This ratio is holding steady within our PF members. Using the data I mentioned before as a basis, we still have "twice" as many left-handed people here, compared to the general population.

Also in our group with 49 polled, rightfootedness 75.5% and leftfooted 24.5%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?