Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leftover lint on my shirts

1. Dec 26, 2008 #1
    Every time I do the laudy I get a ton of leftover lint on my shirts, even after cleaning out the lint trap in the dryer each between each load. Is there something you can throw in there that collects more lint?

I think my sweaters are sheading a lot of lint onto my undershirts and dress shirts.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2008 #2
    Re: lint

You don't do your sweaters in with your shirts do you?

4. Dec 26, 2008 #3

No, because my shirts are whites.

5. Dec 26, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I try to empty the lint filter about 10 or 15 minutes into the dryer cycle, then again 10 minutes later if there's a lot of lint. I do this just to speed the drying time, though.

New clothes will lint a lot more than old clothes and I have no idea how to stop that from happening.

Maybe your root problem is static electicity. Do you use fabric softener or dryer sheets? I use both in winter, to combat static, and I don't have much trouble with lint transferring to other clothes in the load.

6. Dec 26, 2008 #5

Well that's good news. But you actually run your sweaters through the dryer? I wash my sweaters cold, inside-out, with Woolite on gentle cycle and then hang them near the furnace to dry.

It helps to prevent shrinking, color-loss, and excessive 'shedding'. Maybe try that?

7. Dec 26, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Wow! My wife takes our clothes down to the river and pounds them with rocks. What's all this tech-stuff about?

8. Dec 26, 2008 #7

You red neck. :)

9. Dec 26, 2008 #8

Plus, Im ironing 5 dress shirts....my god this takes forever. I suck at this too. Im ok until the sleeves.

10. Dec 26, 2008 #9

Guess that would help with your fragrance sensitivity.

11. Dec 26, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Moose season and deer season are over so she doesn't have to help gut those, and as long as the rivers aren't frozen yet, she might as well do laundry.

12. Dec 26, 2008 #11

They do have those lint balls to gather more lint, so you don't get them attached to your current clothes. Not sure how well they work though, but I saw them the other day at work, and they looked as if they would be pretty good.

13. Dec 26, 2008 #12

As far as I know Dryer Sheets are the way to take care of this. Though I would be suprised if you don't already use them Cyrus since you are so conscientious about clothing.

14. Dec 26, 2008 #13

It was never a problem until I got two sweaters that seem to shead like crazy. And now that its winter time, its really a headache.

15. Dec 27, 2008 #14

The sleeves are the only part I can do. I can't do that spot right between the shoulder blades that has the funny little fold. I don't have an ironing board though. Towel on table or floor.

16. Dec 27, 2008 #15

Yeah, you really need an ironing table for that. I use the pointy part and just keep shifting the shirt around. You can get the entire back portion without any creases that way.

I probably spent well over an hour doing just 5 damn shirts. I think I'm just slow at it.

17. Dec 27, 2008 #16

wolram

Gold Member

You need an ironing press, they come with instructions of how to do shirts, pants and things like sheets, i bought my mom one and she loves it.

18. Dec 27, 2008 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Just have them done at the cleaners, it doesn't cost much for shirts.

19. Dec 27, 2008 #18

I don't know what this "iron" stuff is you speak of; I am telling you wash your sweaters cold in Woolite and hang them dry and there is no need for "iron" (or phosphorus or Nickel or any other elements) and there is no lint either.

20. Dec 27, 2008 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

He's not ironing his sweaters, just his shirts.

21. Dec 27, 2008 #20

Ah. That makes sense now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?