Why am I Getting So Much Leftover Lint on My Shirts?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary, every time I do the laudy my sweaters get a ton of leftover lint on my shirts, even after cleaning out the lint trap in the dryer each between each load. Is there something you can throw in there that collects more lint?
Cyrus
Every time I do the laudy I get a ton of leftover lint on my shirts, even after cleaning out the lint trap in the dryer each between each load. Is there something you can throw in there that collects more lint?

I think my sweaters are sheading a lot of lint onto my undershirts and dress shirts.

Physics news on Phys.org

You don't do your sweaters in with your shirts do you?

No, because my shirts are whites.

I try to empty the lint filter about 10 or 15 minutes into the dryer cycle, then again 10 minutes later if there's a lot of lint. I do this just to speed the drying time, though.

New clothes will lint a lot more than old clothes and I have no idea how to stop that from happening.

Maybe your root problem is static electicity. Do you use fabric softener or dryer sheets? I use both in winter, to combat static, and I don't have much trouble with lint transferring to other clothes in the load.

Well that's good news. But you actually run your sweaters through the dryer? I wash my sweaters cold, inside-out, with Woolite on gentle cycle and then hang them near the furnace to dry.

It helps to prevent shrinking, color-loss, and excessive 'shedding'. Maybe try that?

Wow! My wife takes our clothes down to the river and pounds them with rocks. What's all this tech-stuff about?

turbo-1 said:
Wow! My wife takes our clothes down to the river and pounds them with rocks. What's all this tech-stuff about?

You red neck. :)

Plus, I am ironing 5 dress shirts...my god this takes forever. I suck at this too. I am ok until the sleeves.

turbo-1 said:

Guess that would help with your fragrance sensitivity.

Cyrus said:
You red neck. :)
Moose season and deer season are over so she doesn't have to help gut those, and as long as the rivers aren't frozen yet, she might as well do laundry.

They do have those lint balls to gather more lint, so you don't get them attached to your current clothes. Not sure how well they work though, but I saw them the other day at work, and they looked as if they would be pretty good.

lisab said:
Maybe your root problem is static electicity. Do you use fabric softener or dryer sheets?

As far as I know Dryer Sheets are the way to take care of this. Though I would be suprised if you don't already use them Cyrus since you are so conscientious about clothing.

TheStatutoryApe said:
As far as I know Dryer Sheets are the way to take care of this. Though I would be suprised if you don't already use them Cyrus since you are so conscientious about clothing.

It was never a problem until I got two sweaters that seem to shed like crazy. And now that its winter time, its really a headache.

Cyrus said:
Plus, I am ironing 5 dress shirts...my god this takes forever. I suck at this too. I am ok until the sleeves.

The sleeves are the only part I can do. I can't do that spot right between the shoulder blades that has the funny little fold. I don't have an ironing board though. Towel on table or floor.

tribdog said:
The sleeves are the only part I can do. I can't do that spot right between the shoulder blades that has the funny little fold. I don't have an ironing board though. Towel on table or floor.

Yeah, you really need an ironing table for that. I use the pointy part and just keep shifting the shirt around. You can get the entire back portion without any creases that way.

I probably spent well over an hour doing just 5 damn shirts. I think I'm just slow at it.

Cyrus said:
Yeah, you really need an ironing table for that. I use the pointy part and just keep shifting the shirt around. You can get the entire back portion without any creases that way.

I probably spent well over an hour doing just 5 damn shirts. I think I'm just slow at it.

You need an ironing press, they come with instructions of how to do shirts, pants and things like sheets, i bought my mom one and she loves it.

Cyrus said:

Just have them done at the cleaners, it doesn't cost much for shirts.

I don't know what this "iron" stuff is you speak of; I am telling you wash your sweaters cold in Woolite and hang them dry and there is no need for "iron" (or phosphorus or Nickel or any other elements) and there is no lint either.

Saladsamurai said:
I don't know what this "iron" stuff is you speak of; I am telling you wash your sweaters cold in Woolite and hang them dry and there is no need for "iron" (or phosphorus or Nickel or any other elements) and there is no lint either.
He's not ironing his sweaters, just his shirts.

Evo said:
He's not ironing his sweaters, just his shirts.

Ah. That makes sense now.

you don't iron sweaters?

1. Why do I get leftover lint on my shirts?

The most common reason for leftover lint on shirts is due to the friction between the shirt and other materials during washing and drying. This causes small fibers to break off and cling to the shirt, resulting in lint.

2. How can I prevent leftover lint on my shirts?

To prevent leftover lint, make sure to properly sort your laundry and wash similar materials together. Additionally, using a lint roller or dryer sheets can help remove excess lint from clothing.

3. Can leftover lint on shirts be harmful?

No, leftover lint on shirts is not harmful to your health. However, it can be unsightly and may affect the appearance of your clothing.

4. Can I remove leftover lint from my shirts?

Yes, there are several methods for removing leftover lint from shirts. These include using a lint roller, masking tape, or a damp cloth. You can also try using a fabric shaver or a lint brush specifically designed for removing lint.

5. Is leftover lint a sign of poor quality clothing?

Not necessarily. Some fabrics are more prone to producing lint, such as cotton or wool. However, if you consistently have a lot of leftover lint on your shirts, it may be a sign of poor quality fabric or improper care for your clothing.