Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Legalization of drug use in Mexico

1. May 3, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Won't they wreck their "Spring Break" industry? No way in hell will American parents let their kids go down there if this passes. Not the ones who have any sense anyway.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/05/01/mexico.drugs.ap/

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny...I was thinking just the opposite. In fact I wondered if this wasn't part of the motivation.

4. May 3, 2006 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

The kids that would be doing drugs there are probably already doing the drugs here.

5. May 3, 2006 #4
    This is issue is about rhe corruption in law enforcement in Mexico. Not that it is going to change anything, but currently a person apprehended with drugs in their possesion is arrested or not arrested depending on how big a bribe he/she can pay the Mexican policeman.

For the most part the Mexican police look the other way where tourists, and booze or drugs are concerened, especially in the resort areas. On the other hand always have a $20 bill ready to hand over if you are stopped for a traffic violation.

6. May 3, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

and that's the naive outlook on Mexican police! They really don't need a reason to try to extort you out of money. My cousin went down there ... twice... and let's see, first time the police said they were going to arrest him for literally no reason (they actually said no reason) and he gave them $100 and off he went. Second time they actually brought him into jail for no reason again. He only slipped the guard $20 though and was let loose so that wasn't as worse.

I swear i already made this threads.

MIH is more popular then me :cry: :cry: :cry:

And what parents in their right mind actually "let" their kids go to mexico? The kids just go. If the parents are bad enough/out of position (kids too old) to let (or don't have any control) them go pre-law, what's going to give them the power to stop them now? What parent is naive enough to think "oh going to TJ? I'm sure you won't get drunk off your ass! Go sweetie, have fun on the beach and at the kids playground".

7. May 3, 2006 #6
    What a great way to help with illegal drug dealersimmagtion

8. May 4, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Under pressure from the US government (apparently) -

9. May 4, 2006 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry, little Penguin. I looked before I posted but I did not see your thread. I apologize. Here, have a herring.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?