1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Legendary knight

1. Dec 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    two blocks of masses 5kg and 7kg are connected by uniform rope of mass 4kg.an upward force Force=200N is applied on the system .How to find the tension at top, lower and midpoint of the rope

2. Relevant equations
    (take g=10m/second square).I only know this.Please tell me the formula to calculate the tension at top,lower and midpoint of the rope.

3. The attempt at a solution
    ---------- untitled.JPG

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You've got a start on your force diagram. It looks good as far as you've gone. Finish it. First hint: F = ma.

4. Dec 27, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As Bystander writes, you need to show all the forces in the diagram. However, I would suggest you do this with separate free body diagrams for each part on which a force of interest acts directly. How many such components are there?

By the way, please use thread titles which give some guidance as to the topic. It will help you get timely answers.

5. Dec 27, 2014 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The trick is to realise that everything must accelerate at the same rate because they are tied together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted