Legendre polynomial of zero

Homework Statement

Using the Generating function for Legendre polynomials, show that:
##P_n(0)=\begin{cases}0 & n \ is \ odd\\\frac{(-1)^n (2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} & n \ is \ even\end{cases}##

Homework Equations

Generating function: ##(1-2xt+t^2)^{-1/2}=\displaystyle\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty P_n(x) t^n##

The Attempt at a Solution

I put ##x=0## in the generating function and got ##(1+t^2)^{-1/2}=\displaystyle\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty P_n(0) t^n## Now, I think I should expand ##(1+t^2)^{-1/2}## using the binomial theorem, then I get an expression that's only valid for even values of ##n##, but it's not the expression stated in the question. So, how can I solve this?

Answers and Replies

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

Homework Statement

Using the Generating function for Legendre polynomials, show that:
##P_n(0)=\begin{cases}0 & n \ is \ odd\\\frac{(-1)^n (2n)!}{2^{2n} (n!)^2} & n \ is \ even\end{cases}##

Homework Equations

Generating function: ##(1-2xt+t^2)^{-1/2}=\displaystyle\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty P_n(x) t^n##

I put ##x=0## in the generating function and got ##(1+t^2)^{-1/2}=\displaystyle\sum\limits_{n=0}^\infty P_n(0) t^n## Now, I think I should expand ##(1+t^2)^{-1/2}## using the binomial theorem, then I get an expression that's only valid for even values of ##n##, but it's not the expression stated in the question. So, how can I solve this?

So, what does that tell you about ##P_n(0)## for odd ##n##?

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor

"Valid" isn't the right word here. The expansion only contains terms with even exponents, so what does that tell you about the coefficients of the odd terms?