1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Legendre polynomial property

1. May 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am to prove that P_n(-x)=(-1)^n*P_n(x)

And, P'_n(-x)=(-1)^(n+1)*P'_n(x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that whether a Legendre Polynomial is an even or odd function depends on its degree.It follows directly from the solution of Legendre differential equation.But,to prove these properties I am getting stuck.

Can anyone help me to start with these?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

4. May 5, 2007 #3
    I referred to those webpages earlier.They contain results but no derivation.

How can I use (-x)^a=(-1)^a*(x)^a within a series?
  5. May 6, 2007 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As Astronuc suggested, substitute as (-x)a for each term in the series. What can you say about (-1)n-2m when m varies?
  6. May 6, 2007 #5
    OK,I already got it.
    One should exploit the property: P_n(x) even and odd according as n is even and odd.
  7. May 6, 2007 #6

The statement you are going to prove can be seen readily if you look at the Ridrigues' formula of Lengreda Polynomial, isn't it? :wink:
  8. May 6, 2007 #7
    I am interested to know how the first formula can be derived from Rodrigues's formula.Is the Replacing x by -x should affect (d^l/dx^l)?If so,how?

Actually it appears...but not quite sure,how?
  9. May 6, 2007 #8
    just change x-> -x
    then the Rodrigues's formula has d/d(-x)
    which can be rewritten as dx/d(-x)*d/d(x) , like changing variables as usual
    then d/d(-x) = -d/dx and d^n/d(-x)^n = (-1)^n d^n/dx^n

for the question how the Rodrigues's formula came from...
    i have no idea at all...:confused:
  10. May 6, 2007 #9
    I anticipated something like this.Thanks for clarification.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?