Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Legendre Polynomial solutions

1. May 19, 2005 #1
    I have a problem where I am given the Legendre equation and have been told 1 solution is u(x). It asks me to obtain an expression for the second solution v(x) corresponding to the same value of l.
    I think it requires Sturm Liouville treatment but don't have a clue how to begin.
    Please HELP!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. May 19, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

More generally, if you have a known solution, u(x) to a differential equation, Taking
    y(x)= u(x)v(x), where v(x) is an unknown function, and plugging into the equation,you get an equation of order one lower for v. In particular, if you know one solution to a second order equation, this will give you a first order equation for an independent solution v(x).
  5. May 19, 2005 #4
    OK so I've skimmed that page and its confirmed what I've got in my lecture notes (albeit in a more complex manner!) :surprised
    The question remains though, how would I be expected to answer the question, given that this question is only worth 9 marks out of a possible 25 on my exam sheet?!
    Surely its asking for something a lot more direct, and I'm still in the dark as to how to begin and what to do.........
  6. May 19, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take Halls' advice and do what he said.I'm sure u'll get the second indep.solution.

7. May 19, 2005 #6
    Yes, sorry I was typing that reply whilst Hall's was posted.
    Thanks for your help, I think I know where to go from here
  8. Feb 8, 2010 #7
    Can somebody help me in deriving legendre differential function using its generating function
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?