Legendre Transform: Momentum & Velocity

In summary, in the paper, the author discusses the Legendre transform and provides equations 16 and 17. Equation 16 shows the relationship between the derivative of the Hamiltonian and momentum, and Equation 17 shows the relationship between momentum and velocity. The author derives Equation 17 by squaring Equation 16, solving for the momentum in terms of velocity, and then reinserting it into the denominator. This results in a simple and straightforward derivation.
redtree
I apologize for the simplicity of the question. I have been reading a paper on the Legendre transform (https://arxiv.org/pdf/0806.1147.pdf), and I am not understanding a particular step in the discussion.

In the paper, Equation 16, where ##\mathcal{H} = \sqrt{\vec{p}^2 + m^2} ##:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\vec{v} &\doteq \frac{d\mathcal{H}}{d \vec{p}}
\\
&= \frac{\vec{p}}{\sqrt{\vec{p}^2 + m^2}}
\end{split}
\end{equation}

Such that, Equation 17
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\vec{p} &= m \vec{v} \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\vec{v}^2}} \right)
\end{split}
\end{equation}

However, I don't understand the derivation of Equation 17 from Equation 16. I assume I am missing something very simple, but I am not seeing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Square (16) and solve for ##\vec p^2## in terms of ##\vec v##. Reinsert in the denominator and solve for ##\vec p##.

Nice; simple; I figured; thanks!

1. What is the Legendre Transform?

The Legendre Transform is a mathematical operation that allows for the transformation of one set of variables into another set of variables, while preserving the underlying relationship between them. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to convert between different representations of a system, such as between momentum and velocity.

2. How does the Legendre Transform relate to momentum and velocity?

The Legendre Transform is used to convert between the two representations of a system, momentum and velocity. Momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and the Legendre Transform can be used to convert between the two by taking the derivative of the system's energy with respect to its velocity.

3. What is the significance of using the Legendre Transform in physics?

The Legendre Transform is significant in physics because it allows for the conversion between different representations of a system, such as between momentum and velocity. This can be useful in solving problems and understanding the behavior of physical systems.

4. How is the Legendre Transform calculated?

The Legendre Transform is calculated by taking the derivative of the system's energy with respect to its velocity. This derivative is known as the conjugate variable to velocity, and it represents the momentum of the system. The Legendre Transform can also be calculated using the Hamiltonian of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Legendre Transform?

The Legendre Transform has many real-world applications in physics and engineering, such as in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in economics to convert between different economic variables, such as between price and quantity. Additionally, the Legendre Transform is used in signal processing to convert between time and frequency domains.