Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Legendre transform

1. Jul 10, 2006 #1
    Legendre transform....

If we define a function f(r) with r=x,y,z,.... and its Legnedre transform
    g(p) with [tex] p=p_x ,p_y,p_z,...... [/tex] then we would have the equality:

[tex] Df(r)=(Dg(p))^{-1} [/tex] (1) where D is a differential operator..the

problem is..what happens when g(p)=0?...(this problem is usually found in several Hamiltonians of relativity) then (1) makes no sense since a 0 matrix would have no inverse..how do you define Legendre transform then...:frown: :frown:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see any problem with "defining the Legendre transform", just defining its inverse- which does not necessarily exist. What kind of functions, f, and p, give g(p)= 0? Why does that not have an inverse?
  4. Jul 10, 2006 #3
    The problem of Zero Legendre-transform arises for example in Quantum Field theory...let be the "Lagrangian density":

[tex] L= \sqrt (-g)R [/tex] where g is the determinant of the "metric" and R is Ricci scalar?...of course if we use a "dot" to indicate derivative respect to time we have that:

[tex] L=L(g_ab , \dot g_ab,x,y,z) [/tex] now we definte the "momenta"..

[tex] \pi _ab =\frac{ \partial L}{\partial \dot g_ab) [/tex]

then the Legendre transform for Quantum gravity is defined by:

[tex] H=\pi _ab \dot g_ab -L [/tex] where the metric is given by:

[tex] g_ab =N(t)dt^{2}-g_ ij dx^{i}dx^{j} [/tex] i,j=1,2,3 (einstein sum convention)

where N(t) is somehow a "lapse" function with a physical meaning so you get the "constraint"..

[tex] H=0 [/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?