1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Legendre transform

1. Jul 10, 2006 #1
    Legendre transform....

If we define a function f(r) with r=x,y,z,.... and its Legnedre transform
    g(p) with [tex] p=p_x ,p_y,p_z,...... [/tex] then we would have the equality:

[tex] Df(r)=(Dg(p))^{-1} [/tex] (1) where D is a differential operator..the

problem is..what happens when g(p)=0?...(this problem is usually found in several Hamiltonians of relativity) then (1) makes no sense since a 0 matrix would have no inverse..how do you define Legendre transform then...:frown: :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see any problem with "defining the Legendre transform", just defining its inverse- which does not necessarily exist. What kind of functions, f, and p, give g(p)= 0? Why does that not have an inverse?

4. Jul 10, 2006 #3
    The problem of Zero Legendre-transform arises for example in Quantum Field theory...let be the "Lagrangian density":

[tex] L= \sqrt (-g)R [/tex] where g is the determinant of the "metric" and R is Ricci scalar?...of course if we use a "dot" to indicate derivative respect to time we have that:

[tex] L=L(g_ab , \dot g_ab,x,y,z) [/tex] now we definte the "momenta"..

[tex] \pi _ab =\frac{ \partial L}{\partial \dot g_ab) [/tex]

then the Legendre transform for Quantum gravity is defined by:

[tex] H=\pi _ab \dot g_ab -L [/tex] where the metric is given by:

[tex] g_ab =N(t)dt^{2}-g_ ij dx^{i}dx^{j} [/tex] i,j=1,2,3 (einstein sum convention)

where N(t) is somehow a "lapse" function with a physical meaning so you get the "constraint"..

[tex] H=0 [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?