Leibintz's Theorem: Learn from Experts

• Thread starter gohar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Leibniz's theorem states that the nth derivative of a function is given by (f^n)(x), where n is the derivative's order.
gohar
hi all I am learner...i want to know leibintz's theorem
need help from experts...

Physics news on Phys.org
What specifically are you having trouble with? What do you know? You'll have to be more specific in order to get help!

Do you mean this one:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha (x)}^{\beta (x)}\Phi(x,t)dt= \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)}\frac{\partial \Phi(x,t)}{\partial x}dt+\frac{d\beta (x)}{dx}\Phi(x,\beta (x)) - \frac{d\alpha (x)}{dx}\Phi(x,\alpha (x))[/tex]

Do you want just the statement or do you have a question about it?

no i want someone to explane leibintz's theorem for finding nth derivative i could'nt understand in class.. {UV} some thing..

Perhaps you mean this:

[tex]\frac{d^n (f(x)g(x))}{dx^n}= \Sigma_{i=0}^n \left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ i\end{array}\right)f^{(i)}g^{(n-i)}[/tex]
Where [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ i\end{array}\right)[/tex] is the "binomial coefficient".

Do you understand why the "binomial theorem" [tex](x+ y)^n= \Sigma_{i=0}^n \left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ i\end{array}\right)x^iy^{n-i}[/tex] works? It is much the same thing.

(I googled on "Leibniz's theorem" and got about a dozen different formulas!)

Leibniz was a smart guy :)

I prefer using the nCr notation, for some reasons it makes it more obvious to me very his theorem came from. The 'binomial coefficent' make me think he did some fancy stuff with Binomial theorem, when really its an easy relationship from the definition of nCr.

Comes from the fact then when we derive x^n repeatedly, the coefficents form into n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)...look familiar :) I didnt help much lol

O wait I didnt answer anything the OP wanted.

Ok, let's try a simple function, like the one I gave above. [tex]f(x)=x^n[/tex] Then [tex]f'(x)=nx^{n-1}[/tex]. Again,
[tex]f''(x)=n(n-1)x^{n-2}[/tex]. More: [tex]f^3(x)=n(n-1)(n-2)x^{n-3}[/tex]. Can you start to see the pattern. With the i-th derivative, the power is n-i, and the co efficent is (n!)/(n-i+1)!.

The theorem generalises this into any f(x).

Holy wack, You know what I just realized.

Correct me if I am wrong, because I probably am, But...Using the Gamma Function, could we find non-integer derivatives? I can't imagine those in my head...please tell me that I could be onto something and no bodys done it before, maybe I could do a thesis on this :)

Last edited:
Here is one way to think about the "binomial coefficient" and why it also pops up in the extended product rule for differentiation.

Suppose we were to multiply (x+ y)3 without combining terms. Also I am going to write xxx instead of x3 which, I think, will make my point clearer.

(x+y)2= xx+ xy+ yx+ yy so
(x+y)3= (x+y)(xx+ xy+ yx+ yy)= xxx+xxy+xyx+xyy+ yxx+yxy+yyx+yyy.

Now, because there are 3C1= 3 ways of writing "two x's and one y" (xxy, xyx, yxx) as well as 3C2= 3 ways of writing "one x and two y's" (xyy, yxy, yyx), that is x3+ 3x2y+ 3xy2+ x3.

Now do (fg)''' the same way: by the product rule (fg)'= f'g+ fg'. (fg)''= (f'g+ fg')'= f''g+ f'g'+ f'g'+ fg''. (fg)'''= (f''g+ f'g'+ f'g'+ fg'')= f'''g+ f''g'+ f''g'+ f'g''+ f'g''+ fg'''. Again, it is because the binomial coefficient answers the question "How many ways can we write n letters if i of the are the same (x or f) and the other n-i are the same (y or g) that the binomial coefficient occurs in both (x+ y)n and (fg)(n).

Gib Z said:
Correct me if I am wrong, because I probably am, But...Using the Gamma Function, could we find non-integer derivatives? I can't imagine those in my head...please tell me that I could be onto something and no bodys done it before, maybe I could do a thesis on this :)

Good insight! This is the start of fractional calculus. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_derivative .

Thanks all friends...

Thanks all friends...
The nth derivative of 1/1+x is (-1)^n *n! /(1+x)^n+1
& i think the nth derivative of cosx = cos (x + (n*pi)/2)
how to find the nth derivative ?
one is the leibintz's theorem...

Your joking, I was right? Aww but looking at that link it looks like I am too late lol.

gohar...sometimes its easier just to search for a pattern. Its simple enough to see [tex]f(x)=kx^n[/tex] then [tex]f^z(x)=nP_z \cdot kx^{n-z}[/tex]. Or, even easier, [tex]f(x)=k^x[/tex] then [tex]f^n(x)=(log_e k)^n \cdot k^x[/tex]. If your looking for the most general case, Then Leibniz is your friend.

Gib Z u r right but i want to know how to differentiate a function by leibniz therom...?

The expression given to you in post #5 by HallsofIvy tells you how to find the nth derivative of a function.

1. What is Leibniz's Theorem?

Leibniz's Theorem, also known as the generalized binomial theorem, is a mathematical formula that provides a way to expand the powers of a binomial expression. It is named after its creator, the German mathematician and philosopher Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz.

2. How is Leibniz's Theorem used?

Leibniz's Theorem is used to simplify and solve complex mathematical equations involving binomial expressions. It allows for the expansion of a binomial expression to any power, making it a useful tool in many areas of mathematics and science such as calculus and statistics.

3. What is the formula for Leibniz's Theorem?

The formula for Leibniz's Theorem is (a+b)^n = Σ(n,k=0) (n choose k) * a^(n-k) * b^k, where a and b are constants and n is the power to which the binomial expression is being raised. (n choose k) represents the binomial coefficient, which is equal to n!/(k!(n-k)!).

4. Can Leibniz's Theorem be used for non-integer powers?

Yes, Leibniz's Theorem can be used for non-integer powers. In these cases, the formula is modified to include a fractional or decimal exponent, and the binomial coefficient is calculated using the gamma function instead of factorials.

5. What are some real-life applications of Leibniz's Theorem?

Leibniz's Theorem has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate compound interest, approximate solutions to differential equations, and model population growth. It is also essential in understanding and developing the concept of derivatives in calculus.