1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leibnitz rule

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

solve ∫log(1+acosx) by differentiation under integral sign (limits are 0 to ∏)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    =∫(1/1+acosx)cosxdx(by leibinitz by differentiating partially WRT a.

Then how do I proceed,can any one show me all the steps of reduction to standard integral forms??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF; :)
    what is the base of the logarithm?
    by "acos(x)" do you mean ##a\cos(x)## or ##\arccos(x)##?
    No - because that would be against the rules. But we can try pointing you in promising looking directions in the hope you'll figure it out...

I'd have been tempted to sub:
    ##e^u=1+\arccos(x) \Rightarrow x=\cos(1-e^u);##
    ... gets rid of both pesky functions at once.
    Then I'd look for a further substitution or explore integrating by parts a couple of times.

The other way ... ##e^u=1+a\cos(x)## ;)

hmmm... actually, Leibnitz's rule looks simpler... back in a tick.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. Oct 11, 2012 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

$$u(\alpha)=\int_0^\pi \ln|1+\alpha\cos(x)|dx = \int_0^\pi f(x,\alpha)dx= \int_0^\pi \frac{\partial}{\partial\alpha}f(x,\alpha)dx$$ ... note that ##\alpha\cos(\pi)=-\alpha## may be less than -1 making the argument of the logarithm negative.

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial\alpha}f(x,\alpha)
    =\frac{\partial}{\partial\alpha}\ln|1+\alpha\cos(x)|=\frac{\cos(x)}{1+\alpha\cos(x)}$$... but would this have to be changed if ##|\alpha| > 1##

so you end up with: $$u(\alpha)=\int_0^\pi \frac{\cos(x)}{1+\alpha\cos(x)}dx$$... which is where you are at.

well I suppose you could get rid of the trig functions with ##z=\cos(x)## and the identity ##\sin(\arccos(z))=\sqrt{1-z^2}## but I don't hold out much hope.

the other thing to try is ##\cos(x)=\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix}+e^{-ix})##

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I suppose there is always looking for p(x) and q(x) satisfying: $$q^2=1+\alpha\cos(x)$$ and $$q\frac{dp}{dx}-p\frac{dq}{dx}=\cos(x)$$... which will give you a first-order DE in p(x) to solve.

Then, by the quotient rule: $$u(\alpha)=\frac{p}{q}$$... nothing looks tidy and a quick squiz at Wolfram's calculator suggests nothing will be.

[note that ##1+\alpha\cos(x)## can be understood as ##|\vec{u}+\vec{v}|## where ##x## is the angle between the two vectors.]

6. Oct 11, 2012 #5
    it is "acosx"..a is the parameter

7. Oct 11, 2012 #6
    If I could get rid of cosx from numerator,then
    we could have substituted tan(x/2)=t
    dx=2dt/1+tsquare
    cosx=1-tsquare/1+tsquare.

I tried dividing num&denom by cosx but no good.

8. Oct 11, 2012 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah - Weierstrass substitution is probably better earlier than that:$$\ln|1+\alpha\cos(x)| = \ln|1+t^2 -\alpha(1-t^2)|-\ln|1+t^2|$$... but I suspect we'll end up with the same trouble when we try to find f(t): dx=f(t)dt
    [edit]since the substitution is ##\tan(\frac{x}{2})=t## then $$dx = \frac{2}{1+t^2}dt$$... still not optimistic [/edit]

I had another look at the substitution: ##e^z=1+\alpha\cos(x) \Rightarrow x=-\arccos(\frac{1-e^z}{\alpha})## because $$dx = -\frac{1}{\alpha}\sqrt{\frac{e^z}{2-e^z}}dz$$... or something.
    This would suggest an integration by parts to get rid of the stray z in the integrand, which may lead to hyperbolic functions.

I think that's about the best I can do.
    The end result is very messy - the best you can do is try to ease the pain in getting there.

Aside: looks unusually painful for a homework exercise - perhaps there is something in the context that will simplify the problem for you?

9. Oct 11, 2012 #8
    simon,according to the exercise the final result does not contain any hyperbolic terms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook