What is the Best Order to Read Classic Authors?

• Thread starter bor0000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the speaker is trying to improve their reading comprehension and have more things to discuss with people by reading 1 book from each classic author. So far, they have chosen 3 authors and are planning to order more from Amazon. They have a total of 10 books, which amounts to about 5000 pages. The speaker is seeking advice on the correct order to read these books in and plans to read the most interesting one first, followed by the rest in a sequential order. The speaker also mentions having a pile of unread books that they plan to read as well.
bor0000
i never read any books(outside of schoolwork) before, so I am trying to read 1 book from each classic author(then i would choose my favourite author). i am trying to choose the order in which to read the books. and so far i have only 3 authors, but i'll soon order more from the amazon so after the first 3, i don't know in what sequence to proceed.
1. Maugham-Razor's Edge- almost finished and the book is great.
2. Graham Greene- 3rd man and the fallen idol
3. Theodore Dreiser- Sister Carrie

4. Colleen McCulough- Indecent Obsession (because it's only 336pages)
5. Margaret Mitchell- Gone with The Wind (1000 pages)
6. Archibald Cronin -Citadel (366pages)
7. Dumas-Count of Monte Christo (1000+ pages)
8. Sinclair Lewis- Arrowsmith (440p)
9. Dickens- Tale of 2 cities
10. Faulkner- Sound and Fury

So my goals are to improve my reading comprehension and so i have more things to discuss with people, but these 10 books are in total about 5000 pages, and i'll probably only read about 2500pages before the school starts, so i need the correct order! thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
read the one that sounds most interesting. repeat after finishing that one. i also have a big mountain of books that sit there unread but since i know it will all be interesting i just pick one & read it.

The best order to read classic authors is subjective, as it depends on personal interests and preferences. However, a general recommendation would be to start with authors from the same time period or literary movement, as their works may have similar themes and styles. This can help you build a foundation and understanding of the time period and literary techniques.

Based on the list provided, a potential order could be:

1. Maugham - Razor's Edge
2. Greene - The Third Man and The Fallen Idol
3. Dreiser - Sister Carrie
4. McCulough - Indecent Obsession
5. Mitchell - Gone with the Wind
6. Cronin - Citadel
7. Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo
8. Lewis - Arrowsmith
9. Dickens - A Tale of Two Cities
10. Faulkner - The Sound and the Fury

This order allows for a mix of shorter and longer books, as well as a variety of genres and writing styles. It also groups authors from the same time period, such as Maugham and Greene who were both prominent writers in the early to mid-20th century.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose books that interest you and keep you engaged in reading. Don't worry about finishing a certain number of pages or books before school starts, just enjoy the journey and the knowledge you gain from reading these classic authors. Happy reading!

1. What are some popular genres in leisure books?

Some popular genres in leisure books include romance, mystery, thriller, science fiction, and fantasy.

2. How do I find new leisure books to read?

You can find new leisure books by browsing through online bookstores or visiting your local library. You can also join book clubs or follow book review websites for recommendations.

3. Are there any classic leisure books that are a must-read?

Some classic leisure books that are often recommended are "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, and "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

4. Can I read leisure books on my electronic devices?

Yes, many leisure books are available in electronic formats such as e-books or audiobooks. You can access them on your e-reader, tablet, or phone.

5. How do I choose the right leisure book for me?

You can choose a leisure book based on your personal interests and preferences. You can also read reviews or ask for recommendations from friends or book experts.