Finding the Inverse of (A-I) Given A^2=0

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of the matrix (A-I) and the possibility of expressing it as an infinite series. The use of the identity matrix and a general solution is also mentioned. The conversation also references a similar problem and provides a link for further assistance.
transgalactic
i am given a square matrix called A(they don't specify how it looks)
i am given that
A^2=0

I-unit matrix

find (A-I)^-1
??-1 is the inverse command

i can pick many matrices which A^2=0
and do this easy subtraction and inverse function

but i need here a general solution
??

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this question can be of help to you :smile:

Or, if you want another approach, notice the real number identity
[tex]\frac{1}{x - 1} = \frac{1}{x - 1} \times \frac{x + 1}{x + 1}[/tex]

I believe that where they're heading with this problem is expressing (A - I)^(-1) as an infinite series. Another poster had a similar problem yesterday.

A problem that is somewhat analogous is the series representation for 1/(1 -a) = 1 + a + 1/2! * a^2 + 1/3! * a^3 + ... + 1/n! * a^n + ...

You're trying to find (A - I)^(-1), which is (-(I - A))^(-1). This latter expression can be shown (I think) to be equal to -(I - A)^(-1), which should be equal to
-[I + A + 1/2! * A^2 + 1/3! * A^3 + ... + 1/n! * A^n + ...]

As a sanity check, I picked a 2 X 2 matrix A = [0 1; 0 0] (shown row by row), and things worked out, which gave me some evidence that I was on the right track.

BTW, I is usually called an identity matrix.

Mark44 said:
I believe that where they're heading with this problem is expressing (A - I)^(-1) as an infinite series. Another poster had a similar problem yesterday.

Yes, only it won't become infinite. And I posted a link to that question in my earlier post.

CompuChip said:
Yes, only it won't become infinite.
Didn't want to give everything away:smile:

thanks

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of vectors, matrices, and linear transformations.

Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It provides a framework for solving complex systems of equations and has applications in areas such as data analysis, image processing, and machine learning.

What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous real-world applications, including image and signal processing, cryptography, robotics, and 3D graphics. It is also used in financial modeling, population dynamics, and transportation planning.

What are the basic operations in linear algebra?

The basic operations in linear algebra include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and scalar multiplication. These operations can be performed on vectors, matrices, and scalars.

What are eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are important concepts in linear algebra. Eigenvectors are vectors that do not change direction when a linear transformation is applied to them. Eigenvalues are the corresponding scalars that represent the amount of stretch or compression in the direction of the eigenvector.