1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lengendre polynomials

1. Apr 8, 2004 #1
    I know that legendre polynomials are solutions of the differential equation is (1-x^2)d^2y/dx^2 - 2x dy/dx+l(l+1)y=0 where l is an integer. The first five solutions are P0(x)=1, P1(x)=x, P2(x)=3/2x^2-1/2, P3(x)=5/2x^3-3/2x, P4(x)=35/8x^4-15/4x^2+3/8

The problem is that I don't understand what the problem is telling me to do. It says to show that each of the polynomials Pl(x) solves the differentil equation with its particular value l. Do I just plug in l? For example, for P0(x)=1, would I plug in 1 for x and 0 for l? I'm really confused.

Another problem is that I have to show by doing 10 integrals that if l is not equal to m, that integral from -1 to 1 dxPl(x)Pm(x)=0 so that these polynomials are orthogonal on the interva1 [-1,1].

Do I just take a value for l and one for m 10 times. So for the first integral, m=1 and n=2?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2004 #2
    [tex]y_l = P_l(x)[/tex]

is a solution to the differential equation

[tex](1-x^2)\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} - 2x \frac{dy}{dx} + l(l+1)y = 0[/tex]

They make up pairs. When l = 2, we have y_2 = P_2(x) is a solution to the differential equation given if 2 is plugged in for l (meaning the last term is 6).

If l = 15, then we have to plug in l = 15 into y_l and l = 15 into the differential equation. Then the solution y_15 will solve the differential equation made when we substitute 15 for l.

cookiemonster

4. Apr 9, 2004 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

z solves an equation, f, if f(z)=0, o yes you just plug in the z which is P_l into the equation defining the l^th legendre polynomial.

secondly you must do the integrals for every pair of numbers (l,m) where l and m are one of 1,2,3,4

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?