Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length contraction accounted for in relativistic aberration?

1. Jun 23, 2015 #1
    I have been coding a speed of light simulator and I am having a bit of trouble with a few aspects of the project. My first question is:

Are the length contraction and relativistic aberration formulas BOTH needed in my calculations or does the relativistic aberration formula already account for the length contraction?​

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2015 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to clarify what you are trying to calculate. The aberration formula is a self contained consequence of the Lorentz transform for angles of 'light rays'. If all you are interested is computing an image in one frame given that in another, this is all you need.

4. Jun 25, 2015 #3
    The effect of length contraction is of course included in the relativistic aberration formula. Nevertheless, as PAllen said, it may be useful to specify what case you simulate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook