1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length Contraction

1. Oct 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two identical spaceships are under construction. The constructed length of each spaceship is 1.5 km. After being launched, spaceship A moves away from earth at a constant velocity (speed is 0.850c) with respect to the earth. Spaceship B follows in the same direction at a different constant velocity (speed is 0.500c) with respect to the earth. Determine the length that a passenger on one spaceship measures for the other spaceship.

2. Relevant equations
    L = Lo (1-v^2/c^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have:
    v = v1 - v2 = 0.850c - 0.500c = 0.350c

L = Lo (1- v^2/c^2) = 1.5km (1 - 0.350^2) = 1.31km

Hi, my question is more whether I'm under-thinking this problem. This solution seems too simple. Should I be using the velocity addition formula or is that only for a third reference frame?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2016 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you should use relativistic addition of velocities. You have three reference frames, two spaceships and the Earth.

4. Oct 17, 2016 #3
    Thanks, I was just a bit confused since the sample paper said all relevant formulas would be included, but had no trace of the addition of velocities formula, so I was hesitant to use a formula that wasn't given. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted