Length Contraction of spaceships

In summary, two identical spaceships, A and B, with a constructed length of 1.5 km each are being launched from Earth. Spaceship A moves away from Earth at a constant velocity of 0.850c, while spaceship B follows at a different constant velocity of 0.500c. Using the relativistic addition of velocities formula, a passenger on one spaceship would measure the length of the other spaceship to be 1.31 km. This solution may seem simple, but it is correct given the information provided.
LeafMuncher

Homework Statement

Two identical spaceships are under construction. The constructed length of each spaceship is 1.5 km. After being launched, spaceship A moves away from Earth at a constant velocity (speed is 0.850c) with respect to the earth. Spaceship B follows in the same direction at a different constant velocity (speed is 0.500c) with respect to the earth. Determine the length that a passenger on one spaceship measures for the other spaceship.

Homework Equations

L = Lo (1-v^2/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have:
v = v1 - v2 = 0.850c - 0.500c = 0.350c

L = Lo (1- v^2/c^2) = 1.5km (1 - 0.350^2) = 1.31km

Hi, my question is more whether I'm under-thinking this problem. This solution seems too simple. Should I be using the velocity addition formula or is that only for a third reference frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
LeafMuncher said:
Hi, my question is more whether I'm under-thinking this problem. This solution seems too simple. Should I be using the velocity addition formula or is that only for a third reference frame?
Yes, you should use relativistic addition of velocities. You have three reference frames, two spaceships and the Earth.

Thanks, I was just a bit confused since the sample paper said all relevant formulas would be included, but had no trace of the addition of velocities formula, so I was hesitant to use a formula that wasn't given. Thanks again!

What is length contraction in relation to spaceships?

Length contraction is a phenomenon in which the length of an object appears to decrease when it is moving at high speeds. This effect is described by the theory of relativity and is particularly relevant to spaceships traveling at near-light speeds.

How does length contraction occur in spaceships?

Length contraction occurs in spaceships due to the effects of time dilation. As a spaceship moves at high speeds, time slows down for the passengers on board. This means that the distance between two points on the spaceship will appear shorter to an external observer because the time it takes for the spaceship to travel that distance is longer for the passengers on board.

What evidence supports the concept of length contraction in spaceships?

The concept of length contraction in spaceships is supported by numerous experiments and observations. One example is the famous Muon Experiment, in which muons (subatomic particles) were observed to travel much further than expected when moving at high speeds, which can only be explained by the effects of length contraction.

Does length contraction only occur in spaceships moving at near-light speeds?

No, length contraction can occur at any speed, but it becomes more noticeable at higher speeds. For example, at a speed of 50% the speed of light, an object would only appear 87% of its original length, while at 90% the speed of light, it would appear only 44% of its original length.

What are the practical implications of length contraction in spaceships?

The practical implications of length contraction in spaceships are mainly relevant for space travel and navigation. It means that distances and measurements in space may appear distorted to observers on Earth or on other spaceships traveling at different speeds. This must be taken into account when plotting courses and conducting experiments in space.