1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of a contour (easy)

1. Apr 22, 2006 #1
    Find the length of the contour Gamma parametrized by [itex] z = z(t) = 5e^{3it} [/itex]

the legnth of contour is [tex] \int_{0}^{\pi} \left|\frac{dz}{dt}\right| dt [/tex]

now [tex] \left|\frac{dz}{dt}\right| = |15ie^{3it}| = |15ie^{3t}\cos(t) - 15e^{3t}\sin(t)| = \sqrt{225e^{6t} + 225e^{6t}} [/tex]

is this right so far?? I think im making a mess of the magnitude part

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The magnitude of [itex]15ie^{3it}[/itex] is 15!! (just take the expression times its complex conjugate and then take the square root!).

Your second step is all wrong. You seem to think that [itex] e^{it} = e^t e^i[/itex] ?? That`s of course incorrect!

Euler`s identity applied to [itex] e^{3 i t} [/itex]gives [itex] cos(3t) + i sin(3t)[/itex]

EDIT: which can also be written as [itex] (e^{it})^3 = (cos t + i sin t)^3[/itex] of course

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  4. Apr 23, 2006 #3
    dont i feel stupid!
    i was using Euler's identitiy incorrectly, when my course... for the most part... is based on it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?