1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of a curve

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    The Length of a Curve

Hi, i'm stumped! :confused:

I've been asked to calculate the length of a curve with the equation...

for the range [tex]0 \leq x \leq a[/tex]

I've been trying to apply the equation...

[tex]\int\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2}\times dx[/tex]

I think...

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-b\times x}{a^2\times\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2=\frac{b^2\times x^2}{a^2\times(a^2-x^2)}[/tex]

[tex]Length=\int\sqrt{1+\frac{b^2\times x^2}{a^2\times(a^2-x^2)}}\times dx[/tex]

and then if that is right i get stuck and don't know how to do that integral with the limits above.

I tried to say that since...

[tex]\frac{1}{a^2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{b^2}[/tex] are constants i can ignore them and follow the method here:

http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~igc/tch/ma1002/int/node21.html (example 2.8 the last one on the page)

but instead of [tex]x^2[/tex] and [tex]y^2[/tex] i'd call my new variables [tex]c^2[/tex] and [tex]D^2[/tex] and then i thought if i did that i'd have to change the range and since [tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}=c^2[/tex] then the new range would be [tex]0 \leq \sqrt{c^2 \times a^2}\leq a[/tex] which i thought

might be the same as [tex]0 \leq c \leq 1[/tex] which i think gives an answer of [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

But i think i'm probably wrong any help would be appreciated thanks :smile:
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a quick check to why your answer is wrong:

The curve you're looking at is an ellipse. Surely you can agree that if a and b increase, the length will increase. So [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] doesn't really make much sense
  4. Oct 28, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Just forget about about trying to find the general expression for the length of the circumference of an ellipse.

It can be done, but you'll only end up with a rather pointless series solution.
  5. Oct 28, 2006 #4
    Thanks for your replies, to Office_Shredder ~ yeah i was thinking [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] didn't really make sense in fact errm oh yeah how can the length be a constant if i'm finding a general expression :redface: to arildno ~ would you suggest i should just leave my expression as that integral then if that is right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?