Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Length of a curve

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    The Length of a Curve

Hi, i'm stumped! :confused:

I've been asked to calculate the length of a curve with the equation...

[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]

for the range [tex]0 \leq x \leq a[/tex]

I've been trying to apply the equation...

[tex]\int\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2}\times dx[/tex]

I think...

[tex]y=b\times\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-b\times x}{a^2\times\sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2=\frac{b^2\times x^2}{a^2\times(a^2-x^2)}[/tex]

[tex]Length=\int\sqrt{1+\frac{b^2\times x^2}{a^2\times(a^2-x^2)}}\times dx[/tex]

and then if that is right i get stuck and don't know how to do that integral with the limits above.

I tried to say that since...

[tex]\frac{1}{a^2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{b^2}[/tex] are constants i can ignore them and follow the method here:

http://www.maths.abdn.ac.uk/~igc/tch/ma1002/int/node21.html (example 2.8 the last one on the page)

but instead of [tex]x^2[/tex] and [tex]y^2[/tex] i'd call my new variables [tex]c^2[/tex] and [tex]D^2[/tex] and then i thought if i did that i'd have to change the range and since [tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}=c^2[/tex] then the new range would be [tex]0 \leq \sqrt{c^2 \times a^2}\leq a[/tex] which i thought

might be the same as [tex]0 \leq c \leq 1[/tex] which i think gives an answer of [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

But i think i'm probably wrong any help would be appreciated thanks :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a quick check to why your answer is wrong:

The curve you're looking at is an ellipse. Surely you can agree that if a and b increase, the length will increase. So [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] doesn't really make much sense

4. Oct 28, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

sanitykey:
    Just forget about about trying to find the general expression for the length of the circumference of an ellipse.

It can be done, but you'll only end up with a rather pointless series solution.

5. Oct 28, 2006 #4
    Thanks for your replies, to Office_Shredder ~ yeah i was thinking [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] didn't really make sense in fact errm oh yeah how can the length be a constant if i'm finding a general expression :redface: to arildno ~ would you suggest i should just leave my expression as that integral then if that is right?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook