Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of a curve

1. Dec 22, 2008 #1
    is there a way to find the length of a curve between two x values?
    if so, what is it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2008 #2
    Yes since the element of length is (assuming two dimensions)

If you integrate you get the length of the curve [itex]s[/itex] from [itex][a,b][/itex]

[tex]s=\int_a^b \sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2}dt=\int_a^b \sqrt{1+\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2}dx[/tex]
  4. Dec 22, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In three dimensions, write x, y, z as functions of parameter t and do the same:
    [tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^2}dt[/tex]
  5. Dec 23, 2008 #4
    I am sorry for my broken english.

How can one find the length of a curve, if the coordinate system is not rectangular (for instance, it is spherical)?

Please if not inconvenient to you, point out my mistakes in my english.
  6. Dec 23, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By using exactly the same formulas but converting from the other coordinate system.

For example, suppose a path is given in spherical coordinates by [itex]\rho= 1[/itex], [itex]\phi= \pi/3[/itex], [itex]\theta= t[/itex], with parameter t. In Cartesian coordinates that is [itex]x= \rho cos(\theta) sin(\phi)= (\sqrt{3}/2)cos(t)[/itex], [itex]y= \rho sin(\theta)sin(\phi)= (\sqrt{3}/2)sin(t)[/itex], [itex]z= \rho cos(t)= cos(t)[/itex].

And my only criticism is that you should stop apologizing for your English. It is excellent. Far better than my (put whatever language you wish in here!).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?