Length of Curve: Find Radius Around (0,0)

In summary, the question asks to find the length of a curve on the surface z=xy, whose projection on the xy plane is a 1 radius circle around (0,0). The attempt at a solution involves using the formula for length of a curve, but the resulting integral is not integrable.
soofjan

Homework Statement

Find the length of the curve on the sufrace z=xy, whose projection on the xy plane is a 1 radius circle around (0,0).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Length of a curve - usually linear integration of the first kind, when f(x,y,z)=1. So I tried:
x=cos(t), y=sin(t), 0<t<2*pi for the circle, z=cos(t)*sin(t). I got the integrand: sqrt(1+cos(2t)^2), which is not integrable.
Am I missing something, or could this be a mistake in the question..?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
soofjan said:

Homework Statement

Find the length of the curve on the sufrace z=xy, whose projection on the xy plane is a 1 radius circle around (0,0).

Homework Equations

Length of a curve - usually linear integration of the first kind, when f(x,y,z)=1. So I tried:
x=cos(t), y=sin(t), 0<t<2*pi for the circle, z=cos(t)*sin(t). I got the integrand: sqrt(1+cos(2t)^2), which is not integrable.

Thanks!

How did you get that integral? The formula for length of a curve as I know it is,

[tex]\int^{t_{2}}_{t_{1}} \sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2} + (\frac{dy}{dt})^{2} + (\frac{dz}{dt})^{2}}dt[/tex]

x' = -sin(t)
y' = cos(t)
z = cos(t)*sin(t) = sin(2t)/2 --> z' = cos(2t)

(x')^2+(y')^2+(z')^2 = [-sin(t)]^2+cos(t)^2+cos(2t)^2 = 1+cos(2t)^2

hence, sqrt[1+cos(2t)^2]

soofjan said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thanks!

I get the same thing and you are correct that it is not an elementary integral.

Ok, thanks.

If it matters, and it probably doesn't, you can express the integral as an incomplete elliptic integral function of the second kind. It's actually rather interesting.

1. What is the definition of "length of curve"?

The length of curve is the distance along a curved line between two points. It is calculated by finding the sum of all the infinitesimal lengths along the curve.

2. How do you find the length of a curve using calculus?

To find the length of a curve, you can use the arc length formula: L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx, where dy/dx is the derivative of the curve's equation with respect to x. You can then integrate the formula between the two points of the curve to find the total length.

3. What is the significance of finding the radius around (0,0) in a curve?

Finding the radius around (0,0) in a curve can help in determining the shape of the curve. If the radius is constant, then the curve is a circle. If the radius is changing, then the curve is not a circle. It can also be useful in finding the center of the curve.

4. Can the length of a curve be negative?

No, the length of a curve cannot be negative. Length is always a positive quantity, and it represents a physical distance. If you get a negative value when calculating the length of a curve, it means there was an error in the calculation.

5. Are there any practical applications for calculating the length of a curve?

Yes, there are many practical applications for calculating the length of a curve. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the length of a path taken by an object. It is also used in geometry to measure the circumference of circles and other curved shapes. In addition, it is used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth and realistic curves.