1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of a curve

1. Mar 17, 2013 #1
    THe parametric equations of the curve C are:

x = a(t-sin(t)), y = a(1-cos(t))

where 0 <= t <= 2pi

Find, by using integration, the length of C.

[itex] \dfrac{dx}{dt} = a (1-\cos t) [/itex]
    [itex] \dfrac{dy}{dt} = a\sin t [/itex]

[itex] \left(\dfrac{dx}{dt}\right)^2 + \left(\dfrac{dy}{dt} \right)^2 = a^2 (1 - 2\cos t + cos^2t + sin^2 t) = 2a^2(1 - \cos t)[/itex]

length of curve = [itex] S = \displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{2a^2(1-\cos t)}\ dt = -2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_0^{2\pi} [/itex]

evaluating this I get 0... any help?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks to me like dx/dt is wrong. Check it.

4. Mar 17, 2013 #3
    Sorry, was a mistype by me of what x is.

5. Mar 17, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, that's better. The answer to a question like this is usually to break the range 0 to 2pi up into smaller parts and add the differences. But how did you get that antiderivative? That doesn't look right at all.

6. Mar 17, 2013 #5
    well I took out the constants 2a^2, that's how I got √2a

I then done: [itex] \int \sqrt{1-\cos t}\ dt [/itex] using the substitution of u = cos(t), getting [itex] -2\sqrt{1+cos(t)} [/itex]

checking, the derivative of [itex] -2\sqrt{1+cos(t)} [/itex] is [itex] \dfrac{sin(t)}{\sqrt{1+cos(t)}} = \dfrac{\sqrt{1-cos^2t}}{\sqrt{1+cos(t)}} = \sqrt{1-cos(t)}[/itex]

7. Mar 17, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, yeah, right. I'm glad you spelled that out. What's going on is that ##\sqrt{1-cos^2t}## isn't equal to ##sin(t)##, it's equal to ##|sin(t)|##. You'll need to change the sign of the antiderivative depending on the sign of ##sin(t)##. Split the integral range up appropriately.

8. Mar 17, 2013 #7
    I'm not quite sure what you mean?:

[itex]-2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_0^{\pi} -2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_{\pi}^{2\pi} [/itex]

Do you mean that? (I'm not sure of the answer, so can't check.)

9. Mar 17, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For pi to 2pi the sine is negative. So sqrt(1-cos(t)^2)=(-sin(t)). You need to add an extra minus to the antiderivative in that range.
    [itex]-2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_0^{\pi} +2 \sqrt{2} a \left[\sqrt{1 + \cos t} \right]_{\pi}^{2\pi} [/itex]

10. Mar 17, 2013 #9
    oh I see, thanks!

11. Mar 17, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're welcome. The way you were doing it before you were getting a negative contribution to arclength from [pi,2pi] cancelling the positive part [0,pi]. You know that can't happen. arclength is positive everywhere.

12. Mar 17, 2013 #11
    Sorry to bump this up but wolframalpha managed to get the integral of ∫√(1-cos(t))dt = -2cot(t/2)√(1-cos(t)) + C, could anyone explain which substitution they used or whatever? I've tried (and I am still trying) to figure out how they've done it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted