How Can You Calculate the Length of a Ramp Based on Sliding Time and Friction?

In summary: In any case, ##F_{net,x} = ma_x = -mg\sin\theta + F_{friction} = -mg\sin\theta + \mu_kN##. You have to define the direction of the x-axis, but you also need to define the direction of the y-axis.I suspect that you're using the horizontal direction as +x and the vertical direction as +y. In that case, your normal force is not ##N = mg\cos\theta##, but ##N = mg\sin\theta##. Either way, you should be able to figure this out.In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a concrete block sliding down a ramp at an angle of 37
neongoats

Homework Statement

You are passing a construction site on the way to physics class, and stop to watch for a while. The construction workers appear to be going on a coffee break, and have left a large concrete block resting at the top of a wooden ramp connecting one of the building's upper floors to the ground. As soon as their backs are turned, the block begins to slide and takes about 2 seconds to reach the ground. You wonder how long the ramp is. You estimate the ramp is at an angle of about 37* to the horizontal, and your physics book gives the coefficient of kinetic friction (uk) between concrete and wood as 0.25

Homework Equations

a= F/m
vf=vi+at
vf^2=vi^2+2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that:
Fnety = Fn - Fgy = Fn - mgsin(37) = 0
Fn = mgsin(37)
Fnetx = Ff - Fgx = uk(mg)sin(37) - mgcos(37) = ma
a = uk(g)sin(37) - gcos(37)
a = .25(-9.8)sin(37) + 9.8cos(37)
a = 6.35 m/s^2

vf-vi = at
vf = 6.35(2)
vf = 12.7 m/s

vf^2 - vi^2 = 2ax
12.7^2 = 2(6.35)x
x = 12.7m

I don't understand how this is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a free-body diagram?
Check your trig relations - the angle is measured from the horizontal.
Don't forget to define the x and y directions as part of your working.

Simon Bridge said:
Did you draw a free-body diagram?
Check your trig relations - the angle is measured from the horizontal.
Don't forget to define the x and y directions as part of your working.

I did draw a free body diagram and I believe my trig relations are correct.
After further digging I found nearly the exact same question http://courseweb.stthomas.edu/physics/academics/111/Brita/Spring%202012/Unit%202/GP6%20P11%20S12.pdf but when I calculate the velocity with their numbers I still get the wrong velocity?
Edit: As in their paper says vf = 2.5 m/s but I get 80.36 when I plug those exact same numbers into my calculator. Did they do it wrong or am I messing up my calculation somewhere?

a= .25(-9.8)sin(37) + 9.8cos(37)
I think you have mixed up your sines and cosines. You need a large, clear diagram to work on, or you probably will get these wrong.

Is the correct answer around 7.5 roughly?

I did draw a free body diagram and I believe my trig relations are correct.
Looking at your FBD: if you have theta as the angle of the ramp to the horizontal, and you have defined the +y axis to be upwards and perpendicular to the ramp, then the normal force to the ramp is ##\vec N = \hat\jmath mg\cos\theta##. You may need to redraw your diagram to see this.

1. What is the purpose of a ramp with a length of 12.7m?

The purpose of a ramp with a length of 12.7m is to provide a gradual incline for objects or people to move from a lower level to a higher level. It can also be used to reduce the effort needed to move heavy objects.

2. How is the length of 12.7m determined for a ramp?

The length of 12.7m for a ramp is typically determined by the height difference between the two levels that need to be connected. To calculate the length of a ramp, the height difference is divided by the slope ratio, which is the rise over run (height/length).

3. What is the optimum slope for a ramp with a length of 12.7m?

The optimum slope for a ramp with a length of 12.7m is 1:12, meaning for every 1 unit of rise, there is 12 units of horizontal length. This slope is recommended by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) for wheelchair accessibility.

4. Can a ramp with a length of 12.7m be used for all types of mobility devices?

Yes, a ramp with a length of 12.7m can typically be used for all types of mobility devices, such as wheelchairs, walkers, and scooters. However, it is important to consider the needs of the individual and ensure the ramp meets their specific requirements.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a ramp with a length of 12.7m?

Yes, there are safety considerations when using a ramp with a length of 12.7m. It is important to ensure the ramp is stable and securely attached to the ground. It should also have appropriate handrails and a non-slip surface to prevent accidents. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be conducted to ensure the ramp remains safe for use.