1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of a ramp

1. Nov 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You are passing a construction site on the way to physics class, and stop to watch for a while. The construction workers appear to be going on a coffee break, and have left a large concrete block resting at the top of a wooden ramp connecting one of the building's upper floors to the ground. As soon as their backs are turned, the block begins to slide and takes about 2 seconds to reach the ground. You wonder how long the ramp is. You estimate the ramp is at an angle of about 37* to the horizontal, and your physics book gives the coefficient of kinetic friction (uk) between concrete and wood as 0.25

2. Relevant equations
    a= F/m
    vf=vi+at
    vf^2=vi^2+2ax

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found that:
    Fnety = Fn - Fgy = Fn - mgsin(37) = 0
    Fn = mgsin(37)
    Fnetx = Ff - Fgx = uk(mg)sin(37) - mgcos(37) = ma
    a = uk(g)sin(37) - gcos(37)
    a = .25(-9.8)sin(37) + 9.8cos(37)
    a = 6.35 m/s^2

vf-vi = at
    vf = 6.35(2)
    vf = 12.7 m/s

vf^2 - vi^2 = 2ax
    12.7^2 = 2(6.35)x
    x = 12.7m

I don't understand how this is wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you draw a free-body diagram?
    Check your trig relations - the angle is measured from the horizontal.
    Don't forget to define the x and y directions as part of your working.

4. Nov 13, 2014 #3
    I did draw a free body diagram and I believe my trig relations are correct.
    After further digging I found nearly the exact same question here but when I calculate the velocity with their numbers I still get the wrong velocity?
    Edit: As in their paper says vf = 2.5 m/s but I get 80.36 when I plug those exact same numbers into my calculator. Did they do it wrong or am I messing up my calculation somewhere?

5. Nov 14, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I think you have mixed up your sines and cosines. You need a large, clear diagram to work on, or you probably will get these wrong.

Is the correct answer around 7.5 roughly?

6. Nov 16, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looking at your FBD: if you have theta as the angle of the ramp to the horizontal, and you have defined the +y axis to be upwards and perpendicular to the ramp, then the normal force to the ramp is ##\vec N = \hat\jmath mg\cos\theta##. You may need to redraw your diagram to see this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted